Question about 12v DC power supply.

I just bit the bullet and went with a used American Beauty (105-A3 ) power unit only. I had to look deep to find a couple of good excuses to convince myself that it was the right move LOL.
? ? ? ? ? That is meaningless to me. What is the transformer?

As far as AWG-10 wire for the output; that's way too small. Try to find a battery cable from a 12 Volt pickup. An automobile will be a couple AWG sizes smaller but would work OK. AWG-10 will do OK for extensoin wire but the transformer needs to be larger. Be sure to use flexible wire, solid (Romex) is much too stiff. I like extension cord wire, but AWG-10 or 8 extension cords are hard to come by.

Last edited:
? ? ? ? ? That is meaningless to me. What is the transformer?

As far as AWG-10 wire for the output; that's way too small. Try to find a battery cable from a 12 Volt pickup. An automobile will be a couple AWG sizes smaller but would work OK.

My neighbor just gave me an older microwave with no cover, I was pleasantly surprised to see the size of the transformer inside it, it's huge, 6170W, 26V, I thought the 10 gauge wire would be too small, I'll follow your suggestion Bill and get a battery cable 1-gauge or maybe 4-gauge and do two turns with it, saw a video doing just that and it melted a steel washer very quickly.

For those who don't know this brand, American beauty is a USA manufacturer of a well regarded resistance soldering system, the model I bought is probably from the eighties but still in pretty good shape, I don't know the size of the transformer in it, all I could read by looking at the pictures, it is a 100Watt unit, I'll know more in a couple of weeks when I receive it,

I think I have one, huge iron, can solder radiator with it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back