Question about Blu-DRO/Touch DRO

Homebrewed,

A linear power supply is called such because it does not use a switching circuit to control the output. The switching circuit is non linear.
It doesn't matter if the linear power supply is regulated or not. If it uses a switching circuit to regulate the output then it is not considered linear any more.

Switcher or linear, they both are a type of regulated suppy and will have negligible droop vs load current when not pushed past their rated output current. The main thing is to avoid UNregulated supplies so you won't inadvertently damage your DROs or other electronics.

Hi Homebrewed,

I'm sorry but for accuracy, A linear power supply does not necessarily have to have a voltage regulator. They often do, but don't have to.

This is why I posted the warning about using linear power bricks and that the output voltage may be much higher than that marked on the label.
Under the load that they are intended to supply the voltage will be close to the marked voltage.

I do agree with your last comment !
Caveat emptor ! Measure the output voltage before connecting to anything.

At least we agree on something :D Now let's get the folks in Congress in on this!

-H

Back