Question about threading on a lathe

A <$100.00 Dell 16" monitor simply plugged in to the output that was used by the original 5" X 5" monochrome display which would cost >$750.00 to replace. Works a charm and is far easier on the old eyeballs.
performed that modification a few times over the years.
One of the first times around I remember the CRT (clunky 14") going crazy when we powered it up. One of the maintenance guys who knew electronics ran off to the Shack and picked up the parts to make a filter and another one of the guys made up a copper mesh 'box' for it and then it was fine. Too much noise in that old plant I guess.
Oh, and the cool aluminum mount they made for it was nice.
Wish that digital cameras were prevalent back then, It would be neat to have picts of that kind of stuff.

(8) I get, (10) I understand, but who in the heck would have thought that (9) was a good idea?
Facilitate the change gears? I'm trying to wrap my head around that one, and failing.
Because you can, there is nothing to stop a manufacturer from producing a 61/64 - 4 11/32 TPI thread if they choose to do so.

I have made slightly off threads in the past as a joke on someone in the future (I do not dislike younger generations, keep them on their toes however), 3/8-15 1/2 TPI for example, these will drive someone trying to repair something at home 20 years from now completely batty.

Endless entertainment

Use the Joe pi method see Joe piezinsky on YouTube. He shows how to thread without fear

Priceless
Unfortunately you never get to actually see the result of such subterfuge so it is a hollow joke, it does give me solace however that 20 years from now some poor bugger is going to be in his garage shop measuring these threads, scratching his head and proclaiming WTF.

Back