Question for owners of Craftsman 12" lathes with 1/2" ways

When I disassembled and cleaned mine some years ago I took pictures of the headstock bearings. I assumed the 159 number (January, 1959?) and the early serial number meant I got a very early example but seems I might be mistaken. I see the 058-016 part number, just where do I hunt the casting date? Pictures hopefully attached.CAM00348.jpgCAM00349.jpg

Bruce,

Timken or maybe it was Atlas ceased hand-engraving the inspection date on the 10" and 12" spindle bearing cups and cones sometime in 1952. So none of the half inch bed machines have engraved dates. I do not know what the 159 means. However, the 3 visible on the top cup means Class 3.

The 101.28940 and the rest of its type group were in production from 1957 until 1966 roughly. The highest serial number that we have in that group is 008142. So assume that in 9 years 9000 of all types were made. That's roughly 1000 per year. So assuming a constant production rate, yours would have been made in early 1963.

Bruce,

Timken or maybe it was Atlas ceased hand-engraving the inspection date on the 10" and 12" spindle bearing cups and cones sometime in 1952. So none of the half inch bed machines have engraved dates. I do not know what the 159 means. However, the 3 visible on the top cup means Class 3.

The 101.28940 and the rest of its type group were in production from 1957 until 1966 roughly. The highest serial number that we have in that group is 008142. So assume that in 9 years 9000 of all types were made. That's roughly 1000 per year. So assuming a constant production rate, yours would have been made in early 1963.
Thanks for the education. Instead of the lathe being 2 years older than me it's 2 years younger. I'm still tickled to have it.

Heh. Mine is a year or so older than me. I'm giving some hard thought to a 13x40 Precision Matthews, and I was thinking I'd sell my Atlas when it was up and running, but it's in such nice shape, and I have so many of the original tooling pieces, plus the steady rest and milling attachment that I think I'd regret it. But then I looked at ebay and for a follow rest and thought I was seeing things. Not quite gold, but sheesh.

It isn't just the Atlas machines that the prices for used accessories are more than for those for new machines made in China. Same is true generally for Logan and any of the others that are US made and are long since out of production.

Back