Question

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Has anyone ever tried one of those dust/chip vacuum attachments for their mill? Are they worth $30.00?

i have not used it, but i do have a shop made fixture that holds my shop vac hose and i use it on the mill and surface grinder

Not sure what attachment you're talking about. Sounds like a commercially made unit, if it's $30.
I have a DynaMyte DM2400 CNC mill - work envelope about 5"x6"x4" and often cut on Corian, which generates LOTS of fine, light dust. Cobbled up the following dust nozzle from a PVC tee and coupling. It connects to a shop vac and works pretty nicely. About the only thing I'm concerned about is the length of the bristles (stolen from a shop vac nozzle) - might they get caught between the cutting tool and the work? Two possibilities - either the bristles get chopped off (no problem), or they jerk on the nozzle and pull it off the mill head. But the magnets hold it pretty well, and I've not seen any problems so far. The last photo shows how clean it keeps a piece of plywood during a test cut.
kHPIM5786.jpgkHPIM5789.jpgkHPIM5791.jpgkHPIM5793.jpgkHPIM5795.jpgkHPIM5796.jpg

Not sure what attachment you're referring to, but I just use 3/4" Loc Line tubing attached to a 1 1/2" PVC manifold that I attach my shop vac to.

Ted

Attachments

• DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0938.JPG
    DSCN0938.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 34
Durn! That LocLine tubing is a great idea. I'm always seeing folks who use vacuum systems struggling to keep the nozzle in place ... and you've NAILED it!

Large LocLine inserted in the vertical vacuum port on an old Craftsman wet/dry shop-vac. Also works great for chip and over spray evacuation when misting on aluminum or plastics.

1564921297667.png

Back