Questions on Delta / Rockwell surface grinder

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Im intrusted in a small home size surface grinder . There’s a Delta not too far away with a magnetic chuck, 5C collets and holder , a few other items . End mill sharpening? I would like to hear from those who have had or used them if there are a decent grinder . I see some pictures of the spindle turned for odd grinding. Have you ever done this ? l The one I’m looking at has a not original motor and missing the cast belt guard. Here’s a picture of the style/ model I was looking at . http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=2896. Thanks Al.

That’s a Toolmaker. I bought one recently and have gotten it working but have barely used it.

While it may be used in a “surface grinding” configuration, it’s not the same as an actual surface grinder. Down feed is coarser (0.0005” increments are marked), and the machine as a whole is more flexible (in a bad way). But the flexibility allows for grinding tools when used with the variety of accessories (table turns and holds centers, indexing head, and multi axis head).

Mine had all the accessories but I haven’t spent much time getting to know how to use them. I did replace the Teflon ways and felt in the oilers and it seems to run okay. I cut a lathe tool basically as I intended. Wish I had more actual experience to convey.

I've had one for about 10 years. It's more of a tool and cutter grinder than a surface grinder. I have a magnetic chuck for it but it's mostly used with a small 3 way vise for grinding lathe tools. I haven't done endmills but if you have the fixture it shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-10-05-15-12_kindlephoto-922633556.png
    Screenshot_2020-10-10-05-15-12_kindlephoto-922633556.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Does the table “ lock “ so tool grinding be done in precision ? Does the finish seem acceptable as a surface grinding ?

I have B&S 618 MicroMaster down here Alcap . I'm clearing out some stuff .

I had to see what your grinder looked like . Little bigger then I was looking for but thanks for thinking of me .

Back