Quick Change Tool Post on a Rhodes shaper

MidniteMachinist

Registered
Registered
20240215_204615.jpg

I built this QCTP for my shaper a couple of years ago. I have a bit of an obsession with repeatable tooling, and wanted to include my shaper in the fun. It's repeatable to a tenth or 2, and at least as rigid as the stock lantern toolpost.

I've installed a 2-axis DRO on this machine as well, and the toolpost allows me to make use of the tool library... Though it's mostly for tool height compensation.

Thought I'd share, as I don't know of anyone else that's made something like this. Cheers!

(also, ignore the empty holes. This is one of the first holders I made, and I went with 6-32 hardware. Found out there's not really enough space for eight 6-32 fasteners, so later holders use eight 4-40 screws)

View attachment 478501

I built this QCTP for my shaper a couple of years ago. I have a bit of an obsession with repeatable tooling, and wanted to include my shaper in the fun. It's repeatable to a tenth or 2, and at least as rigid as the stock lantern toolpost.

I've installed a 2-axis DRO on this machine as well, and the toolpost allows me to make use of the tool library... Though it's mostly for tool height compensation.

Thought I'd share, as I don't know of anyone else that's made something like this. Cheers!

(also, ignore the empty holes. This is one of the first holders I made, and I went with 6-32 hardware. Found out there's not really enough space for eight 6-32 fasteners, so later holders use eight 4-40 screws)
That’s awesome. I have an old Atlas 7B I’m working on in between jobs. Long way from having to worry about a QCTP but hopefully before long I will be ready for one myself. Do you get a lot of use out of your shaper?

I like it! Bringing one of the older shop machines up to work with some 21st century add-ons. :encourage:

That’s awesome. I have an old Atlas 7B I’m working on in between jobs. Long way from having to worry about a QCTP but hopefully before long I will be ready for one myself. Do you get a lot of use out of your shaper?
I wouldn't say it's a workhorse in my little shop, but it does see some use... Internal keyways, and any time I want a mirror finish on some aluminum. I also added a stop switch so I can do other things around the shop while it's running, and have had it and 2 other machines running at the same time in sort of a "production run".

EDIT: Here's the first in a video series of how I made this!

I like it! Bringing one of the older shop machines up to work with some 21st century add-ons. :encourage:
Thanks! It was already a fun machine to use, and now it's an absolute joy.

Last edited:
Internal key ways are what I’m needing to do most often. I have a harmonic balancer right now off of my Duramax that need a second keyway cut

Nice work! I also have a Rodes shaper and use it a fair amount. Show us some pics of your stop and DRO if you can. I think it's ok to give a link to your YT channel, hopefully an admin will chime in.

We post videos off YT so often there's a built-in function for it on the toolbar.

Back