Quiet Air Compressor

I have a Makita MAC2400 big bore, it is very quiet, fills very quickly but it empties quickly too because of it's small double tanks , I connect another small air tank to it when I need to increase it's capacity,works really well.it is a very efficient and reliable compressor.
I have also heard many positive comments on smaller California Air compressors and Rolair JC10 Plus in particular for being really quiet even though it is oilless, in general oilless compressors are noisier than oil lubricated ones.

The die grinders I have use a lot of air. I dont know about quiet compressors but I can assure you that you dont want an ingersol rand. Mine is so loud its annoying. It does make a lot of air though.

Bringing this back, as I'm looking to replace my old and loud compressor, and am considering a California Air Tools unit as well. I thought that I'd mention to be sure and check around on pricing. I was (and still am) shocked at the different pricing between Home Depot and Walmart, where Walmart shows the exact same model for about 40% less... yes, really. Haven't ordered yet, but the prices appears real, as similar discounts are shown for other models as well.

Last edited:
You can watch Craigslist for dental compressors, they are very quiet industrial continuous duty.

Another thing to keep in mind is that much of the noise that a compressor makes comes out of the air intake. You can put a muffler on the intake and significantly reduce the sound level.

Back