Quill DRO replacement

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My PM 727 came with the dumbest quill DRO option I have ever seen. It has auto turn on whenever you move (or bump) the quill but it does not have auto turn off! I am tired of replacing batteries!
I am looking for a replacement like this:
1690916367723.png
Most of the vendors do not tell you the specifics of the power on/off. Do any of you know from experience which brand/model has auto power off? Or at least one that does not have auto power on?

That looks very much like the read head on the digital height gage that I purchased from Tormach some twelve years ago. My head doesn't have an auto on feature but it has auto off. . It tracks movement even if it is powered off so I belive that there is current draw in the power off condition. Mine uses a CR2032 lithium cell. I replace it every few years.

Aliva- That gives not information on auto on/off. Do you have one and how does it operate?
I am replacing a battery a month due to the auto on.

Aliva- That gives not information on auto on/off. Do you have one and how does it operate?
I am replacing a battery a month due to the auto on.
I have one similar but not the exact one. Mine does not have auto on or off. This one in the link shows an on and off button so I would assume there is no auto functions. You could email the vendor they usually respond with in a couple of hours.

A lot of those Chinese DROs have a removable slot on the side that exposes a socket to plug in an external reader. The pins are ground, positive and two data lines.
It is a simple job to solder two Thin wires to the positive and negative and lead them out to a AA battery holder.

An AA battery is cheap and will last forever supplying that reader.

A multimeter can be used with the internal battery in place to determine which connectors are positive and negative (they will be the outermost connectors with the data lines between them).

If your DRO uses a 3v battery then just get a 2xAA battery holder.

Mine is glued to the side of my mill close to the DRO. It's been a year now and I have not replaced that AA battery yet.

Here is a link to an article explaining that port https://hackaday.com/2016/05/17/improved-digital-caliper-interfacing-including-3d-printed-connector/

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

In follow up: I just installed the scale I showed in post #1. It is almost the exact same size as the original and was a easy fit. It has manual on/off. Works perfectly and is exactly what I needed. No more dead batteries! That is a pretty dumb design to have auto on but no auto off.

Back