R8 collet problem

First you should be able to feel it sticking your finger up the spindle. Machine off of Corse. to get to it on most machines lower the quill all the way down. there should be an access hole to get to the screw.
Thanks

The mills have a slot on the side of the quill where one would insert a key to drive out a taper. Lower the quill to access.

I just recently bought a hvm728 jet mill at an auction, it's in really good shape. The problem is the r8 collet goes in so far and stops about 3/4 short from seating in the taper. Am I doing something wrong. I've read about a set screw on the side of the quill that can be backed out just wasn't sure if this is correct??

Any knowledge I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks
What did you figure out? Experiencing a similar problem myself.

What did you figure out? Experiencing a similar problem myself.
Well I unscrewed the bottom of the quill and found the set screw on the side. I backed it out all the way and it still would stop about 3/4" shy. So I ended up getting real fine emery paper and just cleaned the collet up a little and put a little oil on the collet got it to go. It's still snug though. I'm used to a Bridgeport though. I'm thinking this mill was used a a drill press and that's it. With that being said I'm pretty sure it's surface rust inside that holding up the collets.

I received a new quill for mine. Collets go about 75% in and stop. I was thinking the top part of the collet was either to large or the spindle was ground incorrectly. Although they fit into the old spindle.

Back