Rapid Air Compressed Air System For Your Shop

I re-plumbed all the air lines in my shop about 6 years ago with PEX and brass shark bite fittings. I ran a 3/4" main feed line and came off that with 1/2" to the outlets. I haven't had one bit of trouble. Nice feature of the shark bite fittings is that you can disconnect them to add more lines.
Yes, these fittings are kinda pricey, but the crimp on clamps are cheap... the drawback is the crimp tool is almost $100. For the amount of fittings I needed it was less money to go with the shark bite fittings.

One thing to consider about going with a PEX system is you still need to mount for your drops, drain valves, possibly an air manifold, hangers etc. All these additional parts add up, and at the end of the day probably cost as much or more than the Rapidair 90500 Master Kit. That particular system seems to be easily modified with quick couplers. The Maxline system I installed came with hangers for the tubing and the tubing doesn't sag because it is aluminum tubing clad with plastic on either side. It easily bent around other conduit and stay put and the tubing doesn't sag. I believe the interior lining is PEX (polyethylene). With complete air systems that can show up at your doorstep reasonably priced, and go together hassle free without leaks, I can't see that there is a significant cost or time savings otherwise unless you are doing a large air system. I also know that the air system was designed for use with compressed air at the pressures I am using, which is around 140 PSI to maintain the air flow needed. I use separate air regulators at each drop.

I have done all air copper systems in the past, time consuming to do correctly and now very costly. PVC scares the **** out of me for air systems, and even for water I have had it fail, just a bad idea with a lot better options these days.

I had pvc line explode, sounded like a shotgun went off. Luck’ley it was behind the wall in my shop. No it had not been hit or twisted but it was about 40 degrees in the shop. End of pvc.
Getting ready to remove a divider wall in my building and when done, i’m Going to run rapid air. Not that expensive in the long run.
Ron

I have two work shops 1000 ft apart. I needed air in both shops. I ran 1/4" OD pex
under ground to the wood shop and installed a 80 gal. tank. Works great. The 1/4"
line only keeps the 80 gal tank full...

For anyone that is interested in a rigid compressed air distribution system, look at Prevost. This is a really well designed product line and they make any fitting that you can think of. The fittings are aluminum and specific torque ratings are provided. I installed this and i am quite pleased with everything.

Back