Rapid Production Leblond Lathe

yooper

Registered
Registered
anyone know any thing about this lathe? I have a chance to get one that is clean, tight and has been well taken care of, however there is no tailstock. and a short bed length. Is there any thing else I should look for??

Does it have a turret? If not then it is a short part machine not designed for general lathe use, if however everything that you plan on running fits within it's envelope Leblond makes an excellent machine.

The reason that there is no tail stock is that it was not made with the intention of making long parts, ever. Any drill spotted holes were drilled on another machine. As described by the name it is a rapid production machine, think Second world war production. After the parts were prepared nearly anyone could run one after it had been set up.

Last edited:
The LeBlond rapid production lathe does not have a lead screw, so you cannot cut screw threads. From the information out there which is very little, Appears they were only made in a couple of sizes, a 11" and 13". Both have very short beds.

Here's a catalog picture taken from another site to give you an idea what one looks like.

LeBlond rapid production 1948 ex-Hitchcock.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I will look it over real good, there is a local high school that is looking at it also.

Back