Re - mis - dis - organization

The latest tip since going to multiple tool boxes and cabs was put it where you first think it should be or makes sense. And I've learned, THEN DONT MOVE IT! :)

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Memory is a funny thing. You can have a need for a tool that you haven't touched in 10 years and if you follow C-bag's RULE, you'll be able to find it. I admit that I don't know how it works; I just know it is true. It is also true that the older you get and/or the more tools you have, the more important the rule becomes!

My shop areas are the pictures you see when you look up chaos in the dictionary. I am constantly struggling with it.

My problem is that my memory isn't what it used to be so I don't like to bury things where they will be forgotten. An idea that I had was to label all the storage locations with a unique number and/or letter location and the log the items in those locations in a spreadsheet or database. That way instead of searching through multiple boxes looking for that one part or tool that you need to complete a project, you can look it up in the spreadsheet.

To go a step further, if the items are categorized the search can be restricted to a catagory. A database is ideal for this but a spreadsheet can be used as well. With a spreadsheet, you would just create a column for each characteristic and enter a 1 in for the particular item. Then you can sort the list for the 1 for that characteristic and all the items meeting that characteristic will be listed together. Suggested categories might be cutting tools, clamps, fasteners, etc.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Memory is a funny thing. You can have a need for a tool that you haven't touched in 10 years and if you follow C-bag's RULE, you'll be able to find it. I admit that I don't know how it works; I just know it is true. It is also true that the older you get and/or the more tools you have, the more important the rule becomes!
My problem with C-bag's rule is that I have multiple locations where it would be logical to keep a given item. With a machine shop, a welding and forge shop, a woodworking shop, an electrical/electronics shop, and a mechanic's shop, that gives me five different areas t search. Oh, and add the office. :surrender:

My problem with C-bag's rule is that I have multiple locations where it would be logical to keep a given item. With a machine shop, a welding and forge shop, a woodworking shop, an electrical/electronics shop, and a mechanic's shop, that gives me five different areas t search. Oh, and add the office. :surrender:

And that's how you end up with 10 of everything ! :grin:

And that's how you end up with 10 of everything ! :grin:
Fortunately, I live far enough from any vensors that I don't just go out for another. I do spend a disproportionate amount of time searching for things though
I used to hunt squirrels when I was younger. Squirrels have a habit of running up a tree and running down the other side. If you are certain that the squirrel is up the tree, you can sit down and eventually it will come out. However, if the squirrel ran down the other side, you could wait there forever with no results. I spend far too much time waiting for long gone squirrels.

I live 1 minute away from a hardware store . At a point many years back I counted 17 oil filter wrenches in my possession . I know I haven't gotten rid of any , and have purchased many more over the years . It's easier and much faster to buy one for 3 bucks then digging for 4 days for one .

And to add insult to injury , made 2 trips to this hardware store for metric bolts for mounting a tv yesterday . I have 20,000 bolts in the house , but never the ones I need . :big grin:

I joke about this on here , but this is really not funny . " Houston , we have a problem " would be appropriate .

I AM gearing up for a yard sale in April though , I do pretty good .

Full disclosure I got that "rule" from good ol Marv Klotz and he had gone through the whole spreadsheet thing. Which ain't no way homey gonna do dat. Talk about tidy neat shop! But I think he was in single car garage but not only were all the walls covered in drawers and storage cabinets he had stuff built into the rafters. His focus was miniatures and models so he had small machines.

Unlike RJ my real rule is my 20x20 garage is all I got. PERIOD. Yeah, I'd love to have a bigger shop and more room but having moved 25 times in 35yrs taught me the folly of bigger is better. Bigger just mean more. This fact became painfully apparent when we went from basic 2brm apartment living to 4 bdrm 3bath 2500sqft house with a huge garage for only 4yrs. We used to move in 1 1/2 days, by ourselves. Moving from that McMansion(for us) took almost two weeks with help!

I'm just one guy and I can't even get to all the projects and the road out front is definitely a LOT shorter than behind so I'm all about focus and refining. And keeping my inner hoarder corralled by 20x20.

I joke about this on here , but this is really not funny . " Houston , we have a problem " would be appropriate .

I AM gearing up for a yard sale in April though , I do pretty good .
I'm so glad you are on the other side of the world or I'd be in deep yogurt.

Back