Really, Enco? Really?

That being said, seems a lot of Chinese stuff needs reworking to get them close to rite.

What is it with some of you and the constant berating/hate/Xenophobia towards Chinese stuff?

The OP probably doesn't want to hear it, and I'm sure someone will feel I'm being to harsh on him, but i think it needs to be said.

He purchased a 4" vise that's listed as a "Precision Toolmaker's Vise" for $42.
  • The price should have been the first red flag. $42 is way to cheap for a 4" toolmakers vise. Even the cheapest no name import appropriate to be called a toolmakers vise is going to be around $100. Decent imports are going to be $150+ and more like $200-300 for some that's not going to have any issues. A good domestic is going to be approaching $1000.
  • The second red flag should have been that neither the product page, nor the catalog listed any tolerances for squareness or parallelism. I don't care who makes it, If tolerances aren't given it's nothing more than a drill press vise.
  • The final red flag, should have been no tolerance given for how hard the working surfaces.
Imo, this is a case of getting exactly what you paid for.

When I buy a tool I expect it to work as described without having to rework it, no matter where it came from.
Precision toolmakers vice of that quality should not of had "precision " anywhere in the sales add.

Find someone with a surface grinder who knows how to grind flat and square, or maybe even a carbide endmill could work to square it up depending on if it's hardened or not.

I recently purchased a mill traming aid , the add said made in USA so I thought I was safe
I fought with it for half a day trying to get consistent readings out of it "very agravating "
Turns out the indicators were Chinese, the plungers have side to side play that would cause the pointer to move .001-.003 with side pressure. That's going back for a refund ,I pay return shipping
I'll be making my own with known good non chi indicators
Moral of story if you want somthing to work rite the first time without fixing it first get a good one !.

When I need to return items to Enco, they always email a return shipping label. Nice man in the big brown truck picks up the box the next day. No charge to return and free shipping on the replacement item back to me.

Yea Enco is good about returns because they know some of there things are garbage.
I bought the aid from the manufacturer, if I knew they used junk indicators I would not of got it.

When I need to return items to Enco, they always email a return shipping label. Nice man in the big brown truck picks up the box the next day. No charge to return and free shipping on the replacement item back to me.

===============================================

Glad to hear they are good with returns. Thought I was going to be doing that same thing, this past week. I am building a complete lever turret, with a 6 position head and indexing adjustable stops , for a 7 x 10 mini lathe. I ordered a tailstock turret, that I can adapt to the project. This one has am MT-2 taper. (will convert it to a straight shank). Thought I would check out the accuracy, between the taper and each of the 6 holes in the turret head. Put the MT-2 taper into the spindle, on my lathe and then indexed and checked each hole in the head. ---- I am glad I did, because the holes were out between .020 and .040 TIR.

That is when I thought about a return to Enco. Finely decided, that what they would send as a replacement, would not be much better. Came up with several ways to fix the problem, so no harm done. Just more work. ---- John

Back