Reaming

Brento

Registered
Registered
What is a good starting point for the amount of material to cut using a reamer? Just curious to know for aluminum stainless and basic steels.

Typically I leave about 0.015'' more or less for reaming in any material.

That chart can be for any material? What about titanium?

Here's another nice resource I've used.

http://www.taylorandjones.co.uk/?page_id=88

The Section on Feed and speeds has info specific to Titanium Alloys.

By no means am I an expert.... When I've used reamers I've kept the holes ~2% undersized and adjusted the speeds and feeds according to the material.

There's also info out there about using different cutting fluids to get reamed holes that are slightly oversized or undersized depending on the cutting fluid chosen, though I've never tried it.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting, I assume "slight" means very slight, like a tenth
m

Hmmm...

learned something by reading the above referenced chart. A good rule of thumb is drill 2 or 3% smaller first.

Karl

Reaming allowance for machine reamers depends on the size of the reamer, hence the use of a percentage of the tool's diameter, but as a rule of thumb, I generally use about 1/64" for reamers around 1/4" and proportionally more for larger reamers; knowing that large drills may cut oversize, I would make an extra allowance to make up for that; if a machine reamer has a large chamfer on the end (the only feature that does the cutting), it will take a larger "bite" than a new reamer with a minimal chamfer without problems.

Yankee Corporation has a fairly in-depth (ha ha) procedure for arriving at the proper size pre-drill and/or reamer diameter on their web site. Takes machinability of the materials into account as well as the tendancies for drills to make the hole slightly oversize. Seems a bit overkill for the average user, but here's the link for anyone interested.

http://yankeereamers.com/tech-info/

-frank

Back