Reclaiming space with more efficient stock storage

I have found that when I add casters to anything, I always oil them thoroughly. Not only the wheel axles, but the ball bearing swivels as well. It really makes a big difference for the heavy stuff.

Thanks Randy. My point was the existence of the casters is what I'm going to rework. When you reverse the direction of rolling, the entire entity swings to the side to put the wheel into a new trailing orientation and that is making for constant work keep it off the legs of the table because I brilliantly build in minimal clearance:)

CW

You know, another option is to swap out the swivel casters with fixed ones. Then the whole unit will just roll straight in and out. Is that what you are thinking?

looks nice, but for me, that would just be too hard to pick through. I mounted tubes along the wall so I can just grab what I need. If I have to dig under stuff to find what I want, I'm not likely to do it.

Absolutely a consideration... Agree. That's mitigated here by the shallow depth and by putting things in in some sort of order. Big steel in the back... smaller steel in the middle with bar steel back part of that and round in the front part... front aluminum and longer speciality metals and plastics. Small off to the left and on the lathe shelf above this drawer will be a bunch of PVC tubes to hole my "known" metals... things I can actually say what they are without spark testing, and my brass (bought a bunch to make a big clock). Would kill for even more more square foot of wall space... call me envious. I did this whole thing just to make space to add a shaper I bought. My life is a big sliding-tile game:)

CW

You know, another option is to swap out the swivel casters with fixed ones. Then the whole unit will just roll straight in and out. Is that what you are thinking?

I would feel... comfortable... that I have cosmic permission... to use the word "thinking", had I done it prior to loading it up with 800# of metal. Though the concept of replacing the casters with fixed wheels is currently located somewhere inside of my skull. How it arrived there though does not really.. flatter.. me. :)

If I chose to leave the casters, I could add a one-shot to lube them down the road:)

CW

Most of my small metal material is in 60” high Vidmars. The Vidmar alone is heavy. I would not want to move those things now, with all the metal I have in them!

Roller blades to the rescue...

They can be found for 1 buck a pair at yard sales and for that buck you get 8 ball bearing rubber tired wheels.

You either use angle iron for flange mounts or for lower profile mill out a slot in a 2 X 4 then side drill for a long bolt as an axle.

We have Gambrell roof on second level so walls lean inward.

So behind a bookshelf is wasted space.

These wheels allow a low profile skateboard like a creeper that rolls straight to roll behind the shelf.

For the op drawer unit same can be done and more added to distribute the weight and it moves straiggt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Roller blades to the rescue...

They can be found for 1 buck a pair at yard sales and for that buck you get 8 ball bearing rubber tired wheels.

You either use angle iron for flange mounts or for lower profile mill out a slot in a 2 X 4 then side drill for a long bolt as an axle.

We have Gambrell roof on second level so walls lean inward.

So behind a bookshelf is wasted space.

These wheels allow a low profile skateboard like a creeper that rolls straight to roll behind the shelf.

For the op drawer unit same can be done and more added to distribute the weight and it moves straiggt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Hey, that is a great idea! Thank you!

CW

Back