Recommendations for insert or if tool is suitable for my machine.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I recently purchased a couple tools off of ebay. It was a fly cutter and indexable end mill. The price for both was cheaper than a chinese new fly cutter so I took the gamble. Both items seem to be in good shape. The indexable end mill is a 1.5" endmill. Heres the link to it https://www.penntoolco.com/apt-1-1-2-x-r8-tri-dex-indexable-end-mill-em150-r8/ It says it takes 3/8 IC triangles. The endmill came with two with broken edges and one missing. There's a bajillion different inserts. Do you have any recommendations for all purpose use?

Also this is being used on a bport clone. The page says it's effective for low power mills. Should I even entertain using it? Hate to let it sit if I didnt have to.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 16
It takes TPG type inserts
You certainly can use the tool in your application.
Use moderate speed , feed & DOC’s on steel
You can use higher speeds, feeds and DOC’s on non-ferrous metals

I recently purchased a couple tools off of ebay. It was a fly cutter and indexable end mill. The price for both was cheaper than a chinese new fly cutter so I took the gamble. Both items seem to be in good shape. The indexable end mill is a 1.5" endmill. Heres the link to it https://www.penntoolco.com/apt-1-1-2-x-r8-tri-dex-indexable-end-mill-em150-r8/ It says it takes 3/8 IC triangles. The endmill came with two with broken edges and one missing. There's a bajillion different inserts. Do you have any recommendations for all purpose use?

Also this is being used on a bport clone. The page says it's effective for low power mills. Should I even entertain using it? Hate to let it sit if I didnt have to.
We have similar for our B-ports at work up to 2.5 inch.

They work fine but can beat up on your quill and spindle bearings if you take them too far outside of the machines work envelope.

The only problem I have with that one is size, and that is a personal issue. If you got it cheap enough and are happy with it its fine. The cost of inserts can be an issue over using say a 1" endmill, and in my thinking the endmill is more versatile.

Still, good to have in the arsenal for tougher or abrasive materials.

TPG-32x . We bought a lot of this style cutter since we were already using the inserts for turning. This was over 20 years ago. Not particularly free cutting, more of a brute force approach, but they work and the cutters and inserts are cheap.

Similar to the LMS 5427, 2" "Indexible End Mill; as @MrWhoopee says, TPG32x (LMS Provides with TPG322 Cabide; I also have a set of TPG322 T-15 HSS from A.R. Warner for it):

20230827 LMS 5427 2in End Mill.jpeg
I have one for my Mini-Mill: it has less stick-out than my 2-piece 2" Face Mill:

iCarbide 2in Face Mill.jpeg

Both perform well on Aluminum, but the Face Mill produces a better finish (5 round inserts, made for Aluminum). Haven't tried them on steel (yet).

Last edited:
Back