Recommendations on hand sprayed coolant

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
With being new to milling I find myself getting a bit greedy with feeds and speeds and DOC and end up burning the end of the hss bits.

The obvious issue is to slow it all down and not be so greedy but right now I’m doing a bunch of hogging and you end up with some heat even when not being greedy. What’s a recommendation for keeping everything cool using some sort of pump sprayer like a windex bottle or something? My building is about 4000sqft with high ceilings. Vaporizing smoke isn’t to much of a risk.

It wouldn't hurt your wallet any to try Kool Mist. I use dropper bottles, but spray bottles are a logical conclusion. I tend to let the cutter run hot when I get in a hurry, too. Kool Mist helps with that a lot.

Do you have roughing end mills? I find they are quite useful at material removal. Coolant helps too.

I recently won a huge lot, probably 40lbs, of used (some still sharp) end mills from a liquidation auction. Some are roughing but I don’t have that collet size yet. Most recently I was using a 5/8 4 flute endmill in steel with .050” doc. I feel like the depth was okay but I was pushing pretty hard and it was a lot of material I was removing. I will try some cool mist. More collets are on the to do list.

It wouldn't hurt your wallet any to try Kool Mist. I use dropper bottles, but spray bottles are a logical conclusion. I tend to let the cutter run hot when I get in a hurry, too. Kool Mist helps with that a lot.
That kool mist is kind of a lot, is it Concentrated? Also I see #77 and #78, it seems 77 is “heavy duty”. Which one should I use?

Here is a thread asking a similar question here a few weeks ago. Lots of good insight here.

That kool mist is kind of a lot, is it Concentrated? Also I see #77 and #78, it seems 77 is “heavy duty”. Which one should I use?
One gallon makes like forty gallons of coolant or something. I have only used the 77.

Back