Recycling Aluminum Bar

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Alum2.jpg I was given a big pile of these brackets made out of 3/8" aluminum plate (see pic). What is the best way to cut the welds, so that I can use the flat bars for other projects? If you look on the left side, you can see where I started cutting the weld with a cut off disc in a 4" angle grinder, but the disc got gummed up with aluminum particles. thanks, JR49

EDIT, picture didn't show up--will try again

Last edited:
If you have one, a band saw would work well. Some WD-40 sprayed on the work and wheel might also work. Hand hack saw?

I have a bit of a scarry tool for such things. It's a 4" air grinder with a carbide tipped circular saw blade on it. Works great for trimming in a fillet like that. DO NOT! Be tempted to do this on a electric grinder! The body saving safety factor is the the air grinder will readily stall and instantly stop. The electric grinder will just keep on going until somthing awful happens. That said, a big old razor sharp chisel should make short work of the welds.

Master of unfinished projects

I have used a segmented diamond saw blade designed for cutting ceramic tiles with a little beeswax on the blade (candle wax may suffice).The best thing I have found is one of those saws with counter rotating blades but the kerf may be too wide for your application.
John.

Go to A supplier and buy zip cut disks , specifically made for aluminum. They wear faster , but do not load the cutting edge the way ones for steel / stainless do. I use dozens of these a year and know this to be a fact.

I use a 4 x 6 horizontal band saw in the vertical position for cuts like this. A fresh blade makes a big difference as does a smaller tooth pitch. I find that lubrication tends to carry the aluminum particles on the blade and mess up the wheels and guides so I generally don't use it.
If you don;'t have access to a band saw, a hack saw with a new blade works although with a little more elbow grease.

Bob

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I do have a 4X6 bandsaw, and am ashamed of myself for not thinking about using it in the vertical position myself. But hey, that's why this forum is so great! I may also try getting a zip cut disc (thanks blaser.306). Oh, and Bob, and Jim, there ain't no grease left in these old elbows, so the hand hack saw is OUT. Will let you all know how it goes, but in a few days, as now I'm recovering from some minor health issues. Thanks again, JR49

EDIT, OH, I almost forgot. Psychodelicdan, great minds think alike! I too have a 4" carbide saw blade mounted on a air die grinder, but was nervous about using it on anything but soft wood

Last edited:
If you have a mill you could put the piece in the vise and with a good sized cutter and rid yourself of the tabs. I hope you cane get your health problems fixed.

Back