Redneck 4-wheeler, or What to do with an old lawn tractor

McGuyvers shop

Registered
Registered
OK here is my fun project. I had an old lawn tractor with a blown motor, so I stripped it down, borrowed the horizontal shaft motor from my old tiller, and the Redneck puddle jumper is born. I purchased the sprockets and flange bearings from McMaster Carr and did a lot of research on how I wanted to arrange the gear ratio. It turns out that it runs around 10~15 mph, but the real fun is how it pulls and climbs hills and goes through puddles. I decided to keep the speed down so the kids wouldn't roll it and get me in trouble with the wife so this works out for everyone.

DSCN0040.JPG View attachment 98204

Very cool. I love the exhaust header! :))

You may want to make sure you have an umbrella policy.......just sayin'.

Cool! Kinda like a light-duty atv. :)

I don't have a picture handy to back this up, but when I was a kid in the early 70's, my Dad traded for a "Homco" brand lawn mower. It was some kind of a Snapper knock-off. It had a heavy duty set of handlebars to steer it with. He trashed the deck, installed a gas pedal from a junk VW Beetle, and screwed in a straight pipe about 8" long for the exhaust. And then he built a single passenger trailer to pull behind it. Man was that thing a blast! I had trails all over the neighborhood! The ultimate off road adventure.:)) Somewhere in the family archives, there's a picture of me at about the age of 9 "burning" across the yard in 4 or 5 inches of snow on that thing. OH! I about left out the best part! The trailer made a perfect set of "wheelie bars"...stomp the gas pedal, pop the clutch, and in 2nd or 3rd gear, it would stand straight up!!! I thought I was Don Garlits or somebody!

Davebow, That is cool. The kids these days don't seem to appreciate the idea of being creative. Of course, I stuck to my Dad as a young kid and by the time I was 13 I could disassemble and reassemble a lawn mower engine for fun. We built bicycles, go carts, minibikes, and what ever else we wanted to. I enjoy thinking about the old days.

Back