Refurbishing a Delta "Sidekick" 10 inch compound miter saw

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My neighbor had a compound miter saw in the back of his pickup and he offered to give it to me when he stopped by.
I think it was destined for a journey to the junk pile but I happened to be the lucky recipient. It was sort of well used
let's say and needed some attention. The main thing I noticed on first use was that the piece that controls the blade protector
was missing. I machined some thick washers and silver soldered them on to a piece of 3/16 steel rod. That seemed to work OK.
Also one of the handles was broken off so I grafted on a new piece for that. The last thing was the red piece the blade slips into was
all but gone. I made up a new one out of 1/8 inch aluminum and fitted that to the saw. Also I rewired the power cable end as it was
a bit in need of attention. So now it works just fine and I will have to find some projects for it to do. P1030693.JPG
The white piece is what I made to control the blade protector. I couldn't find a good photo of the original so just made up something that would be functional. I made it a little long so I could bend it a little to make it work as intended.

P1030694.JPG
This is the grafted on handle added for functionality.:encourage:
P1030695.JPG
This is what was left of the plastic guard..............

Below is the new aluminum piece to replace the red plastic thing that was pretty useless. I used the saw to cut out the groove in the aluminum
and it seemed happy to saw the groove. Also I took a look at the brushes on the motor and they seem ready for anything I might throw at it.

P1030692.JPG:)

Back