Rehab of Sheldon 10 Inch (Early model from 1933/4

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
Thanks a lot for your prompt interest to my first post on this lathe. The information was helpful as well as the links to OWWM.

I have this lathe back together to check its operation and find that the near bushing on the head-stock will need to be replaced in order for the lathe to be usable. I have found a source(s) for standard size bushings but I do not know if this one is standard. Does anyone know?

I am having difficulty in getting the spindle clear of the head stock. I can move the spindle to the right until the main gear meets the near bushing journal. Then it stops dead. I have removed the locking collar on the left and the cone pulley is free. So the only thing holding the spindle in place is the gear. I could find nothing that locks the gear onto the spindle. Am I missing something?

Tnx,

Doc

I just looked at the pics in the other thread — you’ve made huge progress!

I can’t answer your questions though. Been far too many years since I had my Sheldon, sorry...

MK

You might consider posting than question on the Sheldon sub-forum: you may get more responses.

I just looked at the pics in the other thread — you’ve made huge progress!

I can’t answer your questions though. Been far too many years since I had my Sheldon, sorry...

MK
Thanks MK. I am about convinced this gear is just frozen on the spindle because it has been there since 1934. We shall see.

Thanks MK. I am about convinced this gear is just frozen on the spindle because it has been there since 1934. We shall see.

The best penetrating solvent I know of is Kroil. If you think the gear is just frozen on, try soaking it for about
a week. Great stuff.

Have used Kroil in gunsmithing but don't have any right now. The WalWrench seems to be working.

Back