Repair, replace, bent drill press spindle

I'd go for trying to straighten the existing one first too. I mean, what's to lose? If it doesn't work you still have to make another, but if it does you're ahead of the game on many fronts. Although this may seem a trivial comparison I made a similar repair to the main shaft on a Singer 306 sewing machine. It too had been dropped on it's end (I suspect) and the shaft was kinked almost exactly like yours. I figured what the heck and gave it a shot. By some stroke of luck I managed to get that darn thing within a hair and it was back in the machine with no discernable runout on the handwheel whatsoever. Aside from just being a nice machine to run I love using it just because the repair worked out so slick. I did a short post on it here if you want to see how I went about it.. -frank
So I milled the splines on my CLausing 8540, using ganged cutters, then I cut the nose taper on the lathe, checked fit , then ground the nose on SG, using my spinner, then ground the nose in situ. The runout from final grind in the housing was ~.0002.

Piece of cake- if you have every tool known to mankind... LOL
I have considerably fewer :cupcake:
Nice job

Nice mill for a small shop, modeling, hobby stuff!

Nice mill for a small shop, modeling, hobby stuff!
That clausing is great. I also have a Diamond horizontal mill that Is nice, smooth running, but I prefer the Clausing.. WiIl be parting with that Diamond. Too many tools, too few years left :)

Back