Repairing Snap-On YA-205 Mig Welder

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just the beginning of the repair of my DOA Snap-On Mig Welder. Between poor quality and Mud Daubers it has not welded in about 20 years. Welder was made for Snap-On by Lincoln-Century-Marquett. Very little human support available. I talked to a tech buy several years back but I doubt he still takes calls or even works for Century. As I make progress I will try to update this thread for anyone who needs it in the future. NUFF BABBEL

Are you trying for just function or will this be a full restoration?

White labeled products seem more common now-a-days. Lincoln is a good brand although I have some of the other color in my shop. I bet this will be worth your trouble.

Are you trying for just function or will this be a full restoration?

White labeled products seem more common now-a-days. Lincoln is a good brand although I have some of the other color in my shop. I bet this will be worth your trouble.
My intention is to get it to working not a resto. I may even wind up reworking some of the controls with current day electrical controls. If I get it to work reliability without any modifications that is my first priority but if not I will be back at the well seeking knowledge.

Not exactly the same. I picked up this auction "find" and will be going through the same thing you are. I'll be following along your journey with interest. Please post any places with parts or help.

Won't be touching my until summer.

Hopefully yours goes well

Screenshot_20240122-220319.png

Well here is the not so good progress report. Cleaned the main power switch and got 240 volts a/c coming out of the switch now. All was fine then I plugged in what they call the "Umbilical cord." I then checked to see if I had 24 volts A/C from the control transformer and I did. Next, I was attempting to check what i had coming out of the + and - welding leads when the batteries fell out of my DVM, and I think one of them rolled under the top unit and shorted something out. I've misplaced the cover for the batteries so i should have not been using that meter. I only have 6 meters. Yep 5 others that the battery does not fall out of. But they are in the shop, and I am in the house. So now the saga continues. I will be looking for a source to buy new connectors if anyone has a link I would certainly check them out. Here is pictures of the end of the cable connector. Thanks for stopping by. And YES SHAME on ME.

Attachments

• IMG_2127.JPG
    IMG_2127.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 12
A power switch for a Lincoln tombstone welder would probably work. I don't have any nice suggestions for the cannon plug connection but it could be easily red-necked to work with well marked single wire plugs.

A power switch for a Lincoln tombstone welder would probably work. I don't have any nice suggestions for the cannon plug connection but it could be easily red-necked to work with well marked single wire plugs.
The power switch works now that I cleaned it. It is the cannon plug that I will be trying to locate. Just a source for the plug. I can get one with more pins if needed be and just re use the old wire or buy new wire.

Do you think this may have contributed to the problem ? This is inside the bottom of the top unit where all the controls for heat and feed/speed control are.

Attachments

• IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    550.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 15
It looks like it was left out in the elements for a while. That looks like the work of mud daubers to me
which are notorious for plugging up orifices on pitot tubes on aircraft and any other crevice they can wreak havoc on.
I can't see any serious damage in the photos particularly but a good cleaning and inspection is in order.
The tubes for the motor feed could easily be plugged up and needing your attention. Untitled.jpeg

Mud daubers are a wasp of solitary nature and they kill a spider and lay en egg it and then cover it
with mud. Over time the egg hatches out into another adult mud dauber.

I would go over the machine carefully and look for evidence of mud anywhere. It doesn't have to
be be a lot of mud either as they could easily get into potentiometers or other electronics do their work.
Tubes plugged by mud daubers can generally be cleaned out by running a wire or similar through the
tube a few times to dislodge the mud and the developing egg or pupa.

Edit: Just in case you are worrying that you could get stung while doing your cleaning, there is
nothing to worry about since there will be no adult wasps in that dried mud.:)

Last edited:
It looks like it was left out in the elements for a while. That looks like the work of mud daubers to me
which are notorious for plugging up orifices on pitot tubes on aircraft and any other crevice they can wreak havoc on.
I can't see any serious damage in the photos particularly but a good cleaning and inspection is in order.
The tubes for the motor feed could easily be plugged up and needing your attention. View attachment 475499

Mud daubers are a wasp of solitary nature and they kill a spider and lay en egg it and then cover it
with mud. Over time the egg hatches out into another adult mud dauber.

I would go over the machine carefully and look for evidence of mud anywhere. It doesn't have to
be be a lot of mud either as they could easily get into potentiometers or other electronics do their work.
Tubes plugged by mud daubers can generally be cleaned out by running a wire or similar through the
tube a few times to dislodge the mud and the developing egg or pupa.

Edit: Just in case you are worrying that you could get stung while doing your cleaning, there is
nothing to worry about since there will be no adult wasps in that dried mud.:)
You are certainly correct about the Mud dauber. I have done plenty of research on Mud Daubers due to all the damage and money they have cost me over the years. Mud Daubers are attracted to Two things. Water (for nest building mud) and Spiders (for food) And then you ask what attracts Spiders? Other Insects do, especially those that fly, everything from mosquitoes on up in size. To avoid Mud Dauber destruction, I built an insect proof room inside my shop for some of my smaller machine tools. After 3 electric motors on one air compressor at $200 each I went to war on these little Mud turds. When I can on single phase motors, I cover the air intakes with screen wire. Keep all tools like paint guns and drills etc. inside an old refrigerator or bug proof boxes. BTW my east property line is in the center of an irrigation canal and on the West is a creek. So, they have plenty of water. I have the outdoor lighting on poles to prevent thieves. (and to attract flying insects lol) I have been visited by thieves before and they stole almost all of my 30-year collection of tools. The little bastards have even built mud nest inside my truck air-conditioning vents with the doors closed and windows rolled up. I guess they may have crawled thru the A/C vents or some old bold holes in the floor. You would think chemicals like oil and gasoline would repel them, but they filled the spout of my 5-gallon gas can with mud and it was full of gasoline. I may take a garden pump up sprayer with water and Boric acid and spray any nest and walls they are attached to this spring. And for the record the welding machine was inside my shop and for the last 2 years inside my house. The bastards have even gotten into my house and build nest inside the house. So, I guess you could say I am a Veteran Combat Expert when it comes to Mud Daubers. Did you know the Black ones do not build their own nest but use the vacant nest of the brown ones. The Black ones only eat the Black Widow Spiders.

Back