Replacement Drill Press Chuck

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well the chuck on my ridgid 1550 drill press is toast and I need a replacement 5/8 jt3. wondering what others may have had experience with not sure if I wanna spend 150 on a jacobs after hearing there not what they used to be but I also know a 12 dollar chuck is gonna be just that. looking for that happy medium in maybe the 75 dollar range maybe grizzly accupro thanks for any input

I have a keyed Rohm. I do not recommend it, it has a nice fit and finish, runs more or less on center, and utterly fails to grip anything put it.
I have a keyed Jacobs that is about 20 years old, very nice chuck.
I have an Albrecht keyless, very nice chuck.
I have a bunch of keyed cheap imports, they all feel bad, have poor fit and finish. All of them grip better than my Rohm.
I have a keyed Taiwan made no-name that came with my PM1340Gt. I put it on par with my Jacobs. I would love to know what brand it is.
My bet is the best bang for the buck is something Taiwanese

Albrecht, new or used is the way to go IMHO.

"Billy G"

I have a bunch of chucks of various types, from antiques to old Jacobs to Albrecht, to imports. I needed a new 5/8" chuck for my 80's Enco Taiwan 17" floor drill press. I could not see buying a really high end chuck for it, and did not want to mess with cheap Chinese junk, either. I ended up ordering a keyed Grizzly "South Bend" chuck, made in China, for about $70. Runout was within .002" attached to a fairly cheap Grizzly MT2 arbor. It is smooth and works just fine. I laugh every time I see the "South Bend" label on it, they are not fooling me. Still, it was better than a lot of the junk out there, and way cheaper than an Albrecht or similar. I am happy with it so far.

If you frequently use large drills, I would go with a Jacobs 16N ball bearing Super Chuck (the older, made in the USA ones that you can find on ebay). If most of your work is with drills 1/2" or less, I would suggest an Albrecht keyless chuck in the 1/2" to 5/8" range. I just watched several 1/2" Albrechts go for under $70.00 on ebay. The US-made Jacobs Super Chuck and the Albrecht are the best chucks I've owned so I'm sorta biased.

Thanks guys I picked up a used USA made 16n on ebay I am gonna be watching for an Albrecht for my mill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys nice chuck makes the original look like a baby lol20160107_201824.jpg

Back