Republic surface grinder

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Any of you guys have a 6 X 18 manual surface grinder from Republic? I just picked one up and got absolutely no paperwork with it. The table should be connected to a polyvee belt somehow, but I think there's missing pieces. I haven't torn it down yet to really examine it, but I thought I'd put out some feelers for information on it. Google has nada.

Well, there is a small metal plate, about 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/4 that has a couple of socket cap screws in it that seems to me should connect to the table. It's what appears to hold the belt ends butted together. When I got it, apparently that plate was "hanging" on something on the bottom of the table enough to drag it back and forth. I heaved up on the table a little, ans slid it over about 4" and set it down, and that seemed to disconnect the belt from the table. Maybe the plate simply fit into a slot on the table underside? I'll get the table off today sometime.

I've seen the cable/drum setup before, mostly on T & G grinders. With ball ways. Had to repair one once that had been broke by some idiot lifting the table with a forklift. I remember it being a K. O. Lee, but I could be wrong. It's been a while. Seen the rack type also.

Oh, well....it was free, so I can't complain at all. I'll tear it down today. Hopefully, I'll find a manual someplace.

Mine was the free one, and I got a manual mag chuck on it as well. I don't have the mist collection system, but no more grinding than I plan on doing, it's no bog deal. If it gets out of hand, I'll build one. I'll see if I can get a pic or two this evening.

What is the general principle of operation on your collector? I envision building one in line with cyclonic technology.

Well, if you had one that didn't suck, that would really suck. ;)

I figure a house machine too. It is a Spanish manufacture though. The motor is branded properly for a Republic Lagun.

Found the table drive problem. Looks like somebody wrecked it hard enough to break the "key" that is bolted through the poly-vee belt. No problem, I'll make a new one.

I thought it looked pretty good, considering I haven't even dusted it off, save for the ride to the shop @70 mph. ;)

I'll wash her up and see. I think I'll just touch up the paint. There's a pretty fair auto paint shop here where they pack rattle cans custom.

Back