Request for advice for the best lathe for a makerspace

Personally, I would look for used industrial grade machines, and work through a few reputable equipment dealers. High quality manual machines in excellent condition can be purchased for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Spending less on the machine itself will allow you to purchase more tooling.

My shop is outfitted almost exclusively with "old industrial iron". Ages range from the early 20th century to machines less than 10 years old. Most had been put out to pasture, not because they were worn out, but rather that they had been upgraded with newer faster, and in most cases automated machines.

You are in the heart of the machine tool building industry. There are currently dozens of machines listed on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in your area. They range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. There are names ranging from Harbor Freight to Hendy, Hardinge, Leblond, Clausing, Bridgeport, and more.

No matter what brand or size you buy you're going to need someone knowledgeable on the operation and repair of the machine. I would enlist the help of a Journeyman machinist or a Tool and Die Maker to assist you in your search. They should be able to easily determine which machines would best fit your purpose, and from there recognize which would be in good condition.

If you choose an older industrial grade machine you should be able to find one in excellent condition for 1/3 or less than the cost of new. You should also be able to find replacement parts when (not if) someone crashes the machine. I would agree with Mark in that for most beginners a DRO will be a distraction that could cause problems.
Thanks Projectnut! Any suggestions on how to find a journeyman machinist to enlist?

I would think that any makerspace running machinery should have a member or two that understands how the machines are constructed, has some repair and rehab abilities, and most importantly, knows the limitation of each machine. A 14" lathe is a dangerous machine and some understanding of how it operates mechanically is critical in keeping people safe. If you don't have a member who can assess a machine of that size, you shouldn't let members run it without instruction from someone of experience.

As to used, it is fairly easy to identify a good machine if you can see it run and turn some steel with it. My old Smart Brown has a motor and mechanical rehab but shows wear in the ways, yet still turns within a couple of tenths to my fully restored and reground CVA. It takes a little finesse but that is also part of the learning process.

Dave

I would think that any makerspace running machinery should have a member or two that understands how the machines are constructed, has some repair and rehab abilities, and most importantly, knows the limitation of each machine. A 14" lathe is a dangerous machine and some understanding of how it operates mechanically is critical in keeping people safe. If you don't have a member who can assess a machine of that size, you shouldn't let members run it without instruction from someone of experience.

As to used, it is fairly easy to identify a good machine if you can see it run and turn some steel with it. My old Smart Brown has a motor and mechanical rehab but shows wear in the ways, yet still turns within a couple of tenths to my fully restored and reground CVA. It takes a little finesse but that is also part of the learning process.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I am the owner and operator of the makerspace, so I end up doing the repair and rehab of the machine and understand how they are constructed. All members are trained on how to operate the machines safely.

That said, I am not an expert, so having someone who can assess which machines are likely to meet my needs would be helpful to me.

I don't think that not having a member who is knowledgeable about being able to purchase machinery means we should not purchase a machine of this size, so long as we can get good advice from others on what machines would be good to purchase. I also believe that so long as people are trained on how to operate a machine safely, they can be allowed to use a machine even if it is powerful and dangerous. I took a machining class which used a 1440 lathe and believe I can instruct someone in how to use one safely.

I know that the idea of non-experts training people who have no experience on how to use machinery and then allowing them to use dangerous machinery makes a lot of people uncomfortable. While there are certainly some people who I wouldn't allow to use the machines in the makerspace, I have found by and large most people after they have received training are mature enough to use machinery safely. We have been operating for two years, and haven't had any accidents so far (knock on wood). There is a big difference I think between knowing the right kind of machine to purchase and being able to operate such a machine safely.

Regards,
John

Thanks Projectnut! Any suggestions on how to find a journeyman machinist to enlist?

This may or may not pan out but I see there’s a local union hall for machinists in Waltham. Maybe they could put you in touch with a recently retired guy (or gal) who might agree to give some advice? Just a thought.

1713536511963.png

-frank

The first thing I would do is contact your local technical college to see if they offer any machining programs. If they do ask to speak to the department head. Explain what your intentions are and ask if they have or know of anyone that might be able to help you out

Schools often keep in touch with members of the industry. They may know of shop owners or retirees that would be willing to help you assess and acquire machines.

You might also get in contact with a few local job shops and ask if they know of any machines that are available. Often times shops will donate or sell equipment at reduced prices to organizations that are promoting education or participation in their profession

It’s good to network with local shop owners. Over the years I’ve been offered dozens of machines at bargain basement prices because the shop owners know they will be going to a good home and will have a long and productive second life.

In my opinion it’s best to Respect, but not Fear these or any machines. Yes they are powerful, and can inflict serious damage if not used properly. The key is to get the proper training and use them understanding the consequences of poor work practices.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the the machinists and instructors that took the time give me the necessary training. Some were rough, tough, gruff old timers from the old country. They were stern but fair and made sure you went home with all your body parts intact everyday.

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is contact your local technical college to see if they offer any machining programs. If they do ask to speak to the department head. Explain what your intentions are and ask if they have or know of anyone that might be able to help you out

Schools often keep in touch with members of the industry. They may know of shop owners or retirees that would be willing to help you assess and acquire machines.
Thanks projectnut! Great idea! There is a technical school my son goes to and they have an excellent machining program. I could reach out to the instructor there and see if they know any show owners or retirees who might be willing to help out.

Back