Research on grinding

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Fascinating study on the effects of grinding wheel speed, work-piece speed, abrasive grain size, depth of cut, concentration of cutting fluid, and number of passes on surface roughness.
From the paper:
The important conclusions are as follows:
1. It has been found that depth of cut and work piece speeds are significant parameters.
2. The variables like grinding wheel speed, grain size, concentration of cutting fluid and number of passes are not significant.
3. Among significant parameters the depth of cut is found to be most significant for surface roughness.
4. The grinding wheel speed is found to be least significant parameter because it shows negligible change of response with change in levels.
5. Large decrease was observed in surface roughness when depth of cut was increased was increased from 15 μm to 20 μm.
6. It is found that to achieve minimum surface roughness of AISI 4140 steel, the parameters are grinding wheel speed of 2640 rpm, work-piece speed of 710 rpm, grain size 46 mesh/inch, depth of cut 15 μm, concentration of cutting fluid 5% and number of passes 3.

Last edited:
Cylindrical grinding /\/\/\/\/\ , not true for surface grinding . 2 different animals . ;)

I would also add to this ...........what is mentioned above is mostly BS . What matters is what the job is you are working on . Long shaft work differs from short stubby work etc . I ran cylindrical grinders for 15 years in a die shop and no two jobs are the same .

@DavidR8 you will find feed rate and stepover width make a big difference in accuracy and finish. You have to tailor these to the capabilitues of your machine.

@DavidR8 you will find feed rate and stepover width make a big difference in accuracy and finish. You have to tailor these to the capabilitues of your machine.

Indeed. I got the link to the research from a video by Solid Rock Machine Shop where he talks about various grinding wheels.

He shows highly magnified photos of surfaces ground by 46 gr and 120 gr wheels and the difference is barely discernible.

I’m looking forward to receiving the diamond dresser this week so that I can have a proper go at it.

Yes, wheel dress makes a huge difference in material remove over time, and also with quality of finish. I would disagree with #4, wheel speed can make a large difference, as slowing the speed can make the wheel act significantly softer, doing away with the tendency of a too hard wheel to glaze over, it can cause the wheel to "self dress" and continue to cut rather than start shrieking and burning the work.

Nothing like the wheel breaking down on your finish cut . Turns a $5000 shaft into scrap real quick . :grin:

Back