Restore 1984 Honda Big Red

Jim1942

Active User
Registered
We have 2 Big Red's that we get a lot of use out of running around on the farm, especially when checking on irrigation systems and a ton of other uses. A good while back, one of them stuck the exhaust valve and just got put aside until some convenient time to correct the problem. Well, the time has arrived and I pulled the engine out, and sure enough, the valve was stuck, thanks to the gum that was created thanks to the wonderful ethonal that has been forced upon us. What a great additive to our gasoline. It's a good thing they don't allow it in airplanes. I am surprised as to how well this machine is made. Guess I should have known, due to the long time use we've had from them. A little TLC goes a long way. Hope I've got enough sense to put that sub-transmission back together.

jim

image.jpg

I had a atc 110, loved that little thing, so easy to ride and great for ice fishing. I also had a honda 350x that was scarry fast and fun as well. I wouldn't let anyone ride the 350, it would bite you in a hurry if you didn't know how to ride a 3 wheeler.

Dont see many of them no more. They are brutes for machines. They run for ever with a little work

Your right Greg. Honda makes a great little machine. If their cars are as reliable and tough as their 3-wheelers, I've been thinking I should try one the next time I need a new car. Just been sticking with GM on autos over the years due to wanting to support USA made. Lost a lot of respect for GM now though. I saw where the CEO made a speech indicating they want 70% of their business to be done in China. That sure cooks my goose with leaning their way. I feel like they have given me the finger and walked away.

Anyhow, back to 3-wheelers, we too started out with a 110 when our kids were small. It was a tough critter also. However, when my daughter was about 8 or so, she and a bunch of kids went swimming in a ditch around the corner from us. She rode down there on the 110 and parked on the tile where the ditch crosses the road. A few minutes later the 110 coasted off the end of the tile and fell 8' into the hole they were swimming in. A neighbor called and said something had happened down there and my daughter was crying. I went down there and they had gotten it out of the water ASAP. It landed upside down and floated there for a minute or so before they up righted and got it on ground. I took the plug out and pulled the rope a couple of times, then put it in the pickup and brought it home. Blew all the water away that I could and let it set in the sun the rest of the afternoon and by night, it was running again.

i was a few minutes getting my daughter to settle down, I finally convinced her the 110 could be replaced and that I was so grateful that no one was under it when it fell. This was a lesson for her and it very well could have been much worse. That fall I traded for the Big Red, and then a couple years later I saw one about to be sold at an auction for a low price, so I jumped in a bid 1 time and got it. They've been mighty handy.

I notice your picture on your postings, standing next to a couple of flitches. Do you have a mill and saw your lumber? I have a friend that has a band mill and we have sawed a lot of lumber over the years. I've got several old wood working machines and enjoy seeing the wood transformed. But then, I enjoy the same with metal. I have 3 lathes and kick myself for not buying a milling machine years ago. Too old now though. I did build myself a power hammer years ago out of a set of 2 bottom plows that I had setting in the woods just for scrap metal. Saves a lot of pounding with a hammer and anvil when I fire up the forge.

JD

I notice your picture on your postings, standing next to a couple of flitches. Do you have a mill and saw your lumber? I have a friend that has a band mill and we have sawed a lot of lumber over the years. I've got several old wood working machines and enjoy seeing the wood transformed.

JD
Hey Jim, yup I'm a wood worker too and I do chainsaw mill my own lumber, that's the mill with me in the pic. I did a thread in the wood working section with some pics of me milling. I don't know if you can see in the garage behind me but it is packed as high as I can reach with hardwood lumber.
I have a new 2013 gmc pick up, if they start building those there I will be changing brands as well. I should have this truck a long time though.

Back