Restoring Atlas 3991 Lathe

delig

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I was given this lathe that has sat for about 30 years(as you see it below) without being used. I know it needs a new motor and am looking for a recommendation. Also, before digging into a full restoration, I'd like a list of common sense tasks I can undertake to determine if this is salvageable. It comes with both 3 and 4 tooth chucks, it's clearly been repainted and when I open the housing, I can turn the gears by hand, although it is tight.

I'm assuming the first thing is to oil it up and let it sit while I wait for it to be moved to my house (may as well get a head start). Once home, I can start cleaning it up and continue working to free the gears by hand until they turn more easily but I don't know what is acceptable resistance before I connect a motor. Is there a way to determine this before I acquire a new motor (needs to be single-phase)and turn it on, under load?

Also, if this is salvageable, Does anyone know if there are sticker kits I can find to replace the old ones that are challenging to read. I may repaint it/restore it to the original color or as close as I can get.
PXL_20240128_215826096.MP.jpg

Nice little lathe there that should clean up nice . The undermount motor is desirable taking up less space . Aftermarket charts are available also . Robert ( Cab ) will be able to tell you everything about your lathe . He's the resident expert and has a 3996 I believe . :)

If it now has a serviceable 3 phase motor, I would suggest keeping that motor and wiring in a 3 phase VFD converter. You get to run it on single phase without messing with the mechanical drive, and gain the feature of a variable speed motor. You should be able to get a simple VFD for about the cost of a new motor. In addition, the VFD lets you add other features.

One word of caution. If you disassemble parts of the lathe be cautious many parts are made of Zemac a zinc alloy. While it works fine for what it was designed for , it doesn’t liked to be forced. It is not as forgiving as cast iron. Not knowing any better I broke the end support for the lead screw. Parts are still available and you should be able to find quite a few hear that make parts with them.

I beleive the original 3 phase motor was discarded years ago but I'll double check to make sure it is not on a shelf somewhere. He likes to keep things around because you never know what may be handy.

I learned last night (and he gave me) a Northern 1HP 115/230V motor that should pull the lathe fine. It is lightly or never been used but I'll need to test it first.

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_215150957.jpg
    PXL_20240131_215150957.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 3
Back