Reverse Mill Vise

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I saw a Kurt DX-R and thought that would be interesting to use.
Has anyone here used a reverse vise on the mill?
1696194123547.png

Looks like a CNC vise.
Our new VF-2 has 3 DX6's installed.

What would make it a cnc vise?

@Firstram, actually it would be the opposite. You would have the table closer to the column of the machine.

@pontiac428, probably not. I was thinking this vise might position the table more central on the saddle while doing work.

@Firstram, actually it would be the opposite. You would have the table closer to the column of the machine.
True but, with the length of the vise body, it would limit table travel. If I ever get back to work I’ll turn mine around to get a visual.

What would make it a cnc vise?
From what I have seen, a cnc vice describes one that can be mounted on its side & often has long clamping slots along the side instead of the 2 blind slots for the tee bolts.

I can't see this being a replacement for the traditional vices because draftsmen have always used the rear left corner as the datum for detailed prints. The reason being that this is always the fixed jaw & the stop is usually on the left. Any CNC programs will have to be modified to suit the revised Y axis datum.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, a cnc vice describes one that can be mounted on its side & often has long clamping slots along the side instead of the 2 blind slots for the tee bolts.

Agreed, as far as that marketing term is concerned. They are called "versatile" vises in advertising copy.

Maybe if you were mounting it to a tombstone on a multi-axis machine, it would allow for some better options, but on the mill table I just can't see any benefit at all. One difference is the lead screw is held in tension instead of compression as in a traditional vise. Otherwise, it's just an inversion.

Back