Rf-31 Conversion To 240 Volts

Kam Fong

Registered
Registered
The local tooling supply here in SE Michigan sells a version of Rong Fu machines as PRM. The RF-31 that I bought was pre-wired for 120 and I wonder why they would even bother. I ran a new 240 volt circuit but when I started to re-wire the motor I ran into a situation that some others here have seen. Namely, the wiring diagram and the motor plate don't match. My first attempt so far using the motor plate diagram produced a hum in one direction and nothing at all in the other. Now I'm nervous about trying the other diagram. I verified that I do indeed have 240 volts. If a fellow RF-31 owner could verify the wire color/wire number combinations I would be grateful.

Hey Kam,

That hum could mean you have the 'run' windings correct, but not the 'start' winding.

Often the motors are just supplied by the lowest bidder. It can lead to variability in wire colours, etc.
Can you post some pictures to help us help you?
A shot of the motor plate info, a shot of the wiring diagram and perhaps a shot of your current wiring would help.
Also, info on what was used for the original 120v wiring would help.

There is a lot of experience here on wiring motors.
-brino

Well I decided to go ahead and use the wiring diagram from the manual. Everything is now working perfectly. Now I can move on to learning to use the DRO which was already installed.

Back