Rf-31 Questions

Travis7s

Active User
Registered
Working on getting my new mill up and running, I have some questions...

there is wiring diagrams for both 115v and 230v, what are the pros and cons? Mine is wired for 230, but I don't actually have a plug in my garage so i would have to run one out, although I've been meaning to do that for a while anyways...

Is a 15A breaker adequate?

Because of the round column issues, is having a quick change collet set worth it? My old mini mill came with a quick change so i took it for granted...they are pretty pricey!

Any other tip and tricks that are good to know?

Thanks.

1 hp motor? 15 amp 120 volt breaker will not be adequate

115 requires twice the current (amps) than 230 for the same horsepower, so heavier breaker & wiring. I've seen the RF31 variously listed as 1.5 or 2HP. 15A won't be enough at 115, it might be at 230. The motor nameplate will tell you how much current it draws at either voltage.

Travis7s,

You will never regret running 240V to your shop. It offers up so many options for motors, welders, heaters(I saw Saskatoon!), etc.
Also, you could put lights on one 120V leg and your large 120V loads on the other leg and not have a brown-out when you switch on the tools......

-brino

There: shortest 230V outlet ever.

dzmqLrf.jpg

I bought enough 12-2 armoured cable to redo the rest of my 120V wiring for 20A. For some reason armoured BX is actually cheaper than Romex at Home Depot. I'm doing to redo it all surface mount, I hate the way the current wiring is all 'buried' through the studs.

Back