Rhodes shaper lubrication

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What would be the best lube for the bull gear, grease, oil or other? I'm asking because there is no info I can find on the machine and figure if I ask here that I will get the best answers possible. In other words I trust you guys!

I don’t know about best, but I use grease on the bull gear of my Peerless just because it’s really awkward to get in there reliably with anything else. The bull gear is way in the back, and by the time I get my hand in with an oil can then try to see into the black insides to try to place it, well, it’s a shot in the dark to say the least. At least with the grease I know it stays put for a while and I don’t have to do it every single time I run the machine.

-frank

I'm using the same lube I use on the open gears on my South Bend lathes. It's messy stuff, but good! It's Ensign's Hi-Lo cable and gear lube. Not sure if you can buy it anymore, but I think CRC and others make similar stuff. Comes in an aerosol can. It's a thick, tar like substance that sticks to EVERYTHING! Cleans up pretty well with WD-40 though.

Good stuff for open gears, especially slow rotating ones like in our Rhodes and other shapers.

Ted

I use Jet Lube OG-H which is an open gear grease. It's black sticky stuff that won't fling off and has moly in it.

Edit: oops, didn't notice these guys were from Canada, but you get the idea.

Well grease it will be, tried some Napa open gear lube spray today and not impressed. It doesn't seem to leave much of a film at all.

I have been using #90 gear oil on everything that has a gear train. It sticks don't drip either, also
quiets straight cut gears. Been doing this like forever......

In the absence of anything better I'd be inclined to try chainsaw bar oil, sticks to anything and resists flinging off

Back