Right angle milling attachment for an Excello mill

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is only the second one I have ever seen in 10 years searching for one. If you one an Excello mill you know the quill diameter is larger than A Bridgeport. These are tough to find.

Interesting. Visually, it looks quite close to a regular Bridgeport right-angle attachment.

I wonder if there's enough 'meat' on a standard Bridgeport right-angle attachment for the folks with Excello mills to bore it out to size in a pinch.

@NCjeeper --- does that mean you bought the first one you saw in that 10 years of searching?

I could never locate one so I bought one for a Bridgeport. Took it apart and bored out the mounting sleeve so I could get it to fit. About a year later an Excello attachment shows up on E-bay. Guy wanted 650 for it. I didn't buy it.

NC I am interested in getting a right angle attachment for my excello. Since it looks like you have had one apart, can you give me some pointers as to what to look for? I know that Excello uses a larger spindle than Bridgeport. Curious as to what lubricates them, oil or grease, and are they maintainable and if so, how. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I picked up a Gem power unit off of E-bay. It is a two piece unit so you can remove the locking collar. I put the collar in the lathe and bored it out to fit the Excello quill. There is a grease fitting on the unit so it takes grease for the bearings. Hope this helps.

Thank you NC! In studying pictures of the excello unit (link you posted on the 13th), I didn't see grease fittings but I did see grub screws, one on each side. On one side it appears to be over the register plane, on the other side, it seems to be near the bottom. I was assuming these were fill and drain plugs but I don't know. If they are fill and drain plugs, I don't know what lubricant to put in them. I would assume a heavy weight gear oil of sorts. From the looks of the GEM power unit, there are also seals outside the bearings which makes sense. I have more studying to do.

Back