[How-To] Rivits removal?

holtzwurm

Registered
Registered
Trying to disassemble my 109 for restoration. How am I able to remove those rivets that hold on metal tags attached to the iron part???

A lot of machine rivets are for lack of a better word screw rivets in that they have like really course threads. if you can grip the head with some small vice grips you can twist and pull them out. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

If a reg rivet first need to find out the size. Most 1/8”. I dimple the head with a punch, then drill through the head. Usually it will pop off and you can pull the plate. Then use the right size punch to knock out the shank.

If they are the screw in type commonly used on machine plates, another option is to use a very thin cut-off wheel to cut a slot in them and then turn them out with a screwdriver. I've had good luck with that approach.

The proper name for the round head widgets typically used for name and other plate retainers is "drive screw". They are commercially available, although in the small sizes, you will probably have to buy more than you need in order to get them. Although this isn't true in all cases, sometimes the mounting holes are drilled through. In that case, you can use a pin punch to drift them out with. If you are successful in removing the drive screws without damage, they are usually re-usable. But you will need to make an installing punch from a small piece of round stock with a ball end mill of the proper diameter.

Parker-Kalon or PK are another names for the pesky drive screws.

I don't think slotting the heads for a screw drive will work due to the long helix of the "threads". Most likely the heads will split. A Jiffy bar with the end ground to nearly a knife edge can be used to pry up the nameplate bringing the PK up with it.

I've NEVER been able to get these off without ruining them, EXCEPT when the hole is a drilled all the way thru and I can punch them out from the back. I've tried gripping them, slotting them and prying them. Now I just cut them with a chisel and use screws to reattach the plate. You might try a local hardware store, not a big box one, but a small True Value/Ace/Local brand, to see if they have either rivets or the drive screws in small quantities.

Back