Roman Shield

I am NOT trying to put down other art forms, just trying to emphasize (as the school did) that actual hands-on work has no substitute.
You need to get your hands dirty with real-world projects to understand materials and their limits, processes, and possibilities.
This is so crucial, a lot more than you’d think. I would add to follow basic instructions laid out of how to apply. I just always took that for granted until I took my aspiring anime artist 14yrld son to the ComicCon in San Diego 20yrs ago(!). All the big names in the comic world were there and as always looking for talent.

As we were sitting in the waiting area I was seeing all these young people with huge fancy portfolios and my son would ask to look so I would look over his shoulder. They were all big professional stills of their drawings. My son would look through and make supportive comments and meanwhile I was looking at his slapped together cardboard folder full of his sketches and one series of sketch style of 4 story panels like you’d see in a comic book. I was thinking he’d somehow missed the whole idea and was going to get politely dismissed. When we were alone I mentioned this and he just chuckled. He told me every single one of those people had done exactly what you’re NOT supposed to do. They specifically want to see how you work and nothing is more instructive than to see an artists sketches as that shows his grasp of the basics like anatomy, proportion, etc.

I was shocked. Not only was he the only one who had done this exactly how they wanted but he was the only one who had a business card which I bugged him to make when he asked me what else he needed for the show. Once again not single one had a business card. He interviewed with the one comic co he liked and because of his age couldn’t hire him but said he would hire him in a heartbeat when he was done with high school if he still wants to do that.

So I too am interested in how you do Braeden and wish you the best.

Last edited:
Back