Rookie electrical questions, component recommendations needed

Steve68

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I have a stock Grizzly wood lathe, model G0462. I'm in the process of fabricating a cross slide bed and compound tool rest for it. Planning on equipping it with an acme lead screw, driven by a NOS Boston Gear matched single phase AC motor and 20:1 reducer.

The single phase Boston AC motor is designed to be wired for CW or CCW motion. I'd like to switch between forward and reverse using a DPDT toggle switch (preferably pendant style, and NOT momentary).

Between the lathe and its electrical components, the Boston lead screw motor, and the DPDT switch, there will be lots of wiring connections.

My questions:
Would it be advantageous to use terminal blocks/DIN rail to manage all of the wiring connections?
What kind of DPDT switch should I get (could you post a link to the best-choice component, from Amazon, McMaster, Grainger, etc)?
What would the rough wiring diagram for something like this look like?
Thank you

Last edited:
First, you need to determine the switch.

How much current?

How many poles?

Different motors use different ways to reverse direction.

Forward-off-reverse on one switch, or power on one, direction on another.

Using 2 switches, one for power and another for direction allows for simpler wiring and switches.

Adding a push button for jogging can be done with the 2 switch option.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

First, you need to determine the switch.

How much current?

How many poles?

Different motors use different ways to reverse direction.

Forward-off-reverse on one switch, or power on one, direction on another.

Using 2 switches, one for power and another for direction allows for simpler wiring and switches.

Adding a push button for jogging can be done with the 2 switch option.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Here is a wiring diagram from the motor's documentation (ancient parchment!):

Attachments

• IMG_5972 (1).jpg
    IMG_5972 (1).jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5981.jpg
    IMG_5981.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 9
Looks like two switches would be needed- unusual motor type
Bostonmot1.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't know if that motor can be instantly reversed- you would need to wire it up and test it
I'm not sure if the relay stays in the circuit after starting or drops out- some measurements would reveal how it works
In the above diagram the DPDT switch can be a standard type without the center off feature
I guess if you had a 3 - pole center off switch you could get by with one switch:Bostonmot2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back