Rookie Mistake

On several occasions, I have attempted to strike an arc, and saw the telltale signs....
Then I say to the kids watching me "it's a good welder, but it won't throw an arc THAT far:rolleyes:

Not in the machine shop but running the plasma cutter yesterday...Oh my, how dumb do I feel! Been doing this stuff all my life and I'm 70.

Plasma cut was really bad, I mean REAL bad. I fiddled and farted around with everything and just could not understand what the heck was going on...

I hadn't attached the ground clamp. My good buddy was there watching as witness, I'll never live it down.
I bought my first mig welder off of my buddy for dirt cheap as he swore it didn't work.

It had a funky gas regulator that he didn't know how to work and once I figured that out it worked fine and I used it for 20yrs until I bought my Hobart 190.

Yup. Made a fresh pot once, forgot the pot. And I wonder why my wife bought me socks with the instructions sewn on them.
Come to think of it, I've done that too. On our coffee maker, the valve at the bottom of the basket will retain the coffee if there's no carafe but if not caught in time, it will eventually overflow.

Tip: if you don't want to be assigned doing laundry, wash your wife's cashmere sweater on hot and dry on high. Most likely, she won't ask again. She tried getting back by throwing a red dress in with my underwear and dyed the whole lot pink though but I didn't take the bait.

While in high school in 1971, I went to a night class at a local vo-tech school on automotive tune-up. I bought a dwell/tach meter, vacuum gauge and timing light and had fun tuning up the family cars. Well, my algebra instructor had a Ford Fairlane with a V-8, and it needed a tune-up so I volunteered to do the work after school one afternoon in the school parking lot. Plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor in hand and some tools and I went to work. Of course, this attracted a few doubting bystanders. I got the distributor all set with new points and condenser, and the new plugs gapped and installed. I jumped behind the wheel to fire it up. Cranked great, but not even a cough. Well, the peanut gallery was enjoying this way too much, and I could see my math teacher with a concerned look on his face (never a good thing). Then I spotted the new rotor - sitting on the fender. Popped it in and the engine fired right up. Tweaked the dwell, timing and idle settings and my math grades were safe!

While in high school in 1971, I went to a night class at a local vo-tech school on automotive tune-up. I bought a dwell/tach meter, vacuum gauge and timing light and had fun tuning up the family cars. Well, my algebra instructor had a Ford Fairlane with a V-8, and it needed a tune-up so I volunteered to do the work after school one afternoon in the school parking lot. Plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor in hand and some tools and I went to work. Of course, this attracted a few doubting bystanders. I got the distributor all set with new points and condenser, and the new plugs gapped and installed. I jumped behind the wheel to fire it up. Cranked great, but not even a cough. Well, the peanut gallery was enjoying this way too much, and I could see my math teacher with a concerned look on his face (never a good thing). Then I spotted the new rotor - sitting on the fender. Popped it in and the engine fired right up. Tweaked the dwell, timing and idle settings and my math grades were safe!
Simpler times; now it can be a challenge replacing a bulb. I remember how easy it was doing a full tuneup and oil change on even a small block V-8.

At my high school we fixed cars and electronics of teachers.

The football coach heard rumors and asked us to work on his old dodge pickup, had flathead if remembered correctly.

He drove it partway to school then would jog the rest of the way as it only would run for a bit.

Took two days to get it to school.

Just needed a CORRECT, FULL tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser and both pour and spray chem-tool for the carb.

Ran like crap when we started, nice and smooth when done.

Coach gained a lot of weight after that, started running Laps a lunch to get back.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Built a man trap in my back yard to hit intruders in the head with a house brick.
I tested it to see if it worked.
It did!
My father nearly crapped himself laughing so hard.

Back