Rotary Table Chuck Adapter Help

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
I have a never-used Vertex 6" rotary table (3900-2316) laying around and just ordered a new milling machine that should be able to accommodate it (7.125x27.5" table).

I would like to purchase a 5-6" 4 jaw independent chuck for it and don't know the jargon/technical terminology to describe what kind of chuck/adapter plate would be compatible.

The table has 3 t-slots and 2 MT center hole.

I have tried Google but don't get anywhere.

You’ll want a chuck that is close to the same diameter and has bolts going through the front. Probably going to be a 3 jaw if you want to attach with the t-slots.

John

You’ll want a chuck that is close to the same diameter and has bolts going through the front. Probably going to be a 3 jaw if you want to attach with the t-slots.

John
When I was looking how to do this in the past, this sounds familiar. Is there a particular term for the type of chuck with 3 through holes?

Most 4 jaws have 4 thru bolts . You can make up an adaptor to bolt to the 3 slots in the table and 4 drilled and tapped holes to mount the chuck .

When I was looking how to do this in the past, this sounds familiar. Is there a particular term for the type of chuck with 3 through holes?
I think it’s front mount but there may be different terms by supplier. Easy to tell from a picture.

Front mount plain backs . One of these Bucks were on a RT .

Attachments

• 4 jaw chucks.JPG
    4 jaw chucks.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 15
I have a rotary table with 4 t-slots, and an MT3 center. There's a 5" 3 jaw Bison chuck bolted to an adapter plate, using 3 bolts that go into the back of the chuck - it has an adapter rather than a backing plate. It's held to the rotary with t-nuts. The adapter plate has a very small lip, to help center it in the MT3 hole.

I think buying a chuck with no backing plate and making an adapter would be fairly simple. I got this when I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy getting out of the hobby. I hadn't noticed that the chuck was a Bison till now. - Thanks!

chuck-front.pngchuck-rear.png

rotary.png

Back