Round carbide inserts

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was wondering how many use round style inserts ? I've used them many years ago but to be honest I can't remember what material or why we we're using them . last night I was roughing an old bar bell weight , interrupted cut , sand ect . I thought it worked pretty good but wanted to know of any others that use them , thanks Al
Here's one of what I'm talking about

I've got the same one from some seller off eBay. My hope was it'd give a better surface finish than the T or C styles I usually use. My thought was presenting a smoother surface at the work would give a better finish. However, I didn't see improvement to mine sets unused. Probably operator error, curious what others say.

Bruce

I would take one of the inserts and trying sharpening/polishing/lapping the top surface removing the coating, and give it a run.
Eons ago one of the first tasks I had in tool design was to re-do the carbide tooling used for grooving large (36"+) cable drums.
Replaced the large brazed tip tooling they had been using forever.
Basically a radius'ed grooved thread the length of the drum.
Designed up basic positive rake inserts (Ø1" - Ø1.75") with a counter-sunk hole in the center, TiC/TiN coating IIRC.
Tool Makers made up the holders.
First run (on the BA American 48" lathe) and the surface finish wasn't quite good enough. Roughing was OK though.
Carl took a couple of the inserts and polished off the coating. Teddy then swapped them out for the final cut and the finish came out better.

Eons ago one of the first tasks I had in tool design was to re-do the carbide tooling used for grooving large (36"+) cable drums.
I had to turn and groove cable drums for ship cranes way back when also Dan . That was exactly what came to my mind .

I have a few, I don't use them too much though. I use RCGT inserts in mine

One of them is a cheap holder I got from Grizzly that I cut down to try in one of my fly cutters. It's ok but nothing great. Haven't played with it much though, just that one test cut. Reminds me I should make some HSS cutters for them.
20200227_181311.jpg
Img_1090.jpg
Img_1097.jpg

The other 2 are Kennametal holders that I got from a local retired machinist. I really only use them for profiling but I did use one to make a skim cut on one of my RT chuck adapters last week. It wasn't the right insert for the job but it did give a decent finish on the cast iron, can see the reflection of the chuck key in the last pic.
20200227_181216.jpg
20200221_151723.jpg
20200221_152626.jpg

Back