Ruger 10/22 mag release

blacksmithden

Active User
Registered
I could never find a mag release for any of my 10/22's that I was happy with. My first one was the one you have to push straight up...what a pain in the can that was. The next one was the slightly extended version, but still a pain since they were never really made long enough. I bought one out of the states that had kind of paddles out to the sides. It was better, but was still a pain if you had gloves on. I finally decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own, the way I wanted it. Man, there are a lot of little curves in these things. After a few hours in the shop. here's what I came up with. Nice and wide, with sharp "tread" (for lack of a better word) squares on it. So far, it's working great, with or without gloves on. Yea, it's a little rough around the edges, but I wasn't really trying for precision on this one...more a prototype.....and that's my story and I'm sticking to it ! LOL !

The machined piece...still needs a ton of filing and shaping at this point.

magrelease1_zpscb8e59fd.jpg

Part way through shaping the curves

magrelease3_zpsd156d8a0.jpg

magrelease2_zpsb078a041.jpg

And finally, installed in my test (aka: the mutt) 10/22. Didn't see that piece of fuzz when I was taking the pic. LOL.

magrelease4_zps5cb237c8.jpg

magrelease1_zpscb8e59fd.jpg

magrelease3_zpsd156d8a0.jpg

magrelease2_zpsb078a041.jpg

magrelease4_zps5cb237c8.jpg

When you get that one figured out you could probably sell it. I know it it a Pain to do on my old 10/22. I love that old rifle because despite being dirty and never cleaned enough I can reach out and touch whatever critter I need to dispatch. Even with Iron peep sights that old rifle just plinks along sweet as can be. I bought a 50 rd magazine that really cuts down on the mag switching, but it is still a Pain to swap them around when the time comes...

Bob

Back