Rusted Lathe For Sale

My dad bought his Logan out from under a tree in somebody's back yard in Florida. It had a Jacques Cousteau look to it, so he said. The finished product, however, is amazing. Yes, it is possible to recover a lathe from another man's poor decisions. It's a long and rewarding project, if you have the time, motivation, and patience for a long and rewarding project. For some people, it's just long.

Looked at the photos… why would the seller paint over everything!!?? Goodness… do they think that it makes it more desirable for the buyer? Good grief!

Looked at the photos… why would the seller paint over everything!!?? Goodness… do they think that it makes it more desirable for the buyer? Good grief!
Rustoleum Restoration...happens all the time with all sorts of tools/machines and I simply don't get it. Just recently someone locally listed a Takisawa lathe that I would normally be interested in, but they slapped a terrible coat of beige house paint on it. I can't imagine what they were thinking, but I immediately put off any idea of looking at it.

For the OP, I'd echo what others have said. The rust isn't a big deal and would clean up without much effort. You could remove the new paint from areas it shouldn't be pretty easily enough, but it brings up questions. It's one thing when you go into a shop and look at a machine which has been used recently...chances are it actually works. In this case you'd have to be really careful to run it through all the speeds, check spindle runout, try to gauge how much wear the bed has, if all the apron gears are good, etc. Lack of a quick change gearbox is a negative, but not the end of the world...but not having the change gears means a lot of money spent buying them (probably more than the machine). Gears have gotten really expensive. I think the last small gear (like 24 or 28 tooth) I bought was $65 and that's a small gear.

The one good thing going for it is that the Logan 200 was a popular model so a lot were made and Logan still supports them with new parts (not all, but many). Generally speaking, you can find pretty much anything you need for that machine without too much difficulty....although not always inexpensive.

Why do they paint new cars such pretty colors? So you can overlook the fact they are computerized, chromed-up pieces of...Codfish
LOL

Why do they paint new cars such pretty colors? So you can overlook the fact they are computerized, chromed-up pieces of...Codfish
LOL
peterpan-you-are-a-codfish.gif

From a "machinist" snob.
Nothing wrong with change gear lathes.
You can actually cut more threads with change gears than a gearbox..............
ETA, Our new Clausing M390 at work, came with 4 change gears...........
Even gearhead lathes need change gears.......

It looks like a lathe for someone looking to work on a lathe, rather than do work with a lathe. But if I were just looking at these pictures, with no other information, I’d pass.

This!!
When I bought my lathe I wasn't looking for a project. I was looking for a tool I could use for other projects.
And, as Mr. Whoopee suggests, hold out for a lathe with a QCGB!

Back