Rustic Furniture: Tapered or Straight Tenons and Mortises ?

Cr23484

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,
Please offer any advice on using a Veritas tapered or straight tenon cutter, and their matching boring tool for the mortise..
I am looking to begin making rustic furniture out of logs and branches.
I wanted the tenons to be 1 1/4” in diameter and 3-4” long, with a matching tapered mortise.
Thanks in advance,
J

When I was in the custom wood business I did a store display project using tree branches & requiring those cutters.
The biggest problem was aligning the tenons axially, especially on pieces that require them on both ends, and aligning the mortises at the precise points & angles they need to be. The way I did it was to make a holder jig for each branch piece. Basically a board with a V block at each end the length of the piece minus the tenons. The V blocks were ¾ plywood screwed to the ends of 2x4's, the branch would sit in the V notches centering it on the jig, with the section to be tenoned sticking outside. The branches were held in place with a strap of band-iron (perforated metal band used by plumbers for hanging pipe) wrapped over the branch and screwed to the jig, just inside each V block. A drill with the cutter (we used a straight one) was affixed horizontally to another jig, made of plywood, that allowed vertical adjustment and a fence parallel but offset to the cutter axis so that it centered the "branch holder" on the cutter. The branch could then be pushed into the cutter while being aligned by the fence, referenced by the side and bottom of the holder. The same holders were used for the mortises, referenced against the fence on the drill press. laying the jig on its side would give mortises at 90º, wedges were used under the branch for support during drilling.
Sorry I don't have any pictures to post as the that was way back in the pre-digital days, I hope it makes sense.

When I was in the custom wood business I did a store display project using tree branches & requiring those cutters.
The biggest problem was aligning the tenons axially, especially on pieces that require them on both ends, and aligning the mortises at the precise points & angles they need to be. The way I did it was to make a holder jig for each branch piece. Basically a board with a V block at each end the length of the piece minus the tenons. The V blocks were ¾ plywood screwed to the ends of 2x4's, the branch would sit in the V notches centering it on the jig, with the section to be tenoned sticking outside. The branches were held in place with a strap of band-iron (perforated metal band used by plumbers for hanging pipe) wrapped over the branch and screwed to the jig, just inside each V block. A drill with the cutter (we used a straight one) was affixed horizontally to another jig, made of plywood, that allowed vertical adjustment and a fence parallel but offset to the cutter axis so that it centered the "branch holder" on the cutter. The branch could then be pushed into the cutter while being aligned by the fence, referenced by the side and bottom of the holder. The same holders were used for the mortises, referenced against the fence on the drill press. laying the jig on its side would give mortises at 90º, wedges were used under the branch for support during drilling.
Sorry I don't have any pictures to post as the that was way back in the pre-digital days, I hope it makes sense.
Thank You !
Watching videos of the use of tenon cutters show
A very simple technique, but I suspected it not being as easy as the video shows.
Never found a video showing the use of the matched tapered boring tool for the mortise.
My concern is not being able to bring the logs down to my basement workshop where my drill press is.
I like to do this project outside with a vise in my shed. All the wood is green , perhaps I will try using a sharp knife to make the tenons as best I can, then using a speedbore max spade drill bit in my cordless Milwaukee drill/screw gun.
J

Thank You !
Watching videos of the use of tenon cutters show
A very simple technique, but I suspected it not being as easy as the video shows.
Never found a video showing the use of the matched tapered boring tool for the mortise.
My concern is not being able to bring the logs down to my basement workshop where my drill press is.
I like to do this project outside with a vise in my shed. All the wood is green , perhaps I will try using a sharp knife to make the tenons as best I can, then using a speedbore max spade drill bit in my cordless Milwaukee drill/screw gun.
J

If you are just doing a few parts you could probably just eyeball the alignment. I would use straight, not tapered, mortise & tendons for most joints, much easier to position. Some glue and or cross pinned with a dowel should keep it put. Also keep in mind, green wood will shrink so its best if the mortised piece is greener than the tenon piece.

If you are just doing a few parts you could probably just eyeball the alignment. I would use straight, not tapered, mortise & tendons for most joints, much easier to position. Some glue and or cross pinned with a dowel should keep it put. Also keep in mind, green wood will shrink so its best if the mortised piece is greener than the tenon piece.

Thanks again,
Most of the 4-8” logs have a lot more moisture than the 1-2” branches naturally, which is nice of Mother Nature.
I recently bought some 12” lengths of 1” and 1 1.4” dowels made of Douglas fir, Ipe, Aspen, and Holly.
I might have to buy some smaller diameters like 1/2” and 5/8” for a 1 1/4” round tenon.
I will follow your advice and stick with straight not tapered tenons and mortises.
J

For your desired tenon size, I'd suggest using the 1 1/4" cutter. If this is still relevant to you.

Hey everyone! For 1 1/4" diameter tenons, the Veritas tools should work great. Just make sure to follow the instructions for a precise fit carefully. As for the tapered mortise, it adds a lovely touch to rustic pieces.

Hey everyone! For 1 1/4" diameter tenons, the Veritas tools should work great. Just make sure to follow the instructions for a precise fit carefully. As for the tapered mortise, it adds a lovely touch to rustic pieces.
If you're also interested in rattan furniture, check out Garden Centre Shopping. It's a fantastic option for adding a touch of natural beauty to your outdoor space. Good luck with your furniture-making adventure!

Back