sacrificial mill vise?

I just bought a Kurt vise. Brand new.
I agree, check your set up twice, be aware of your target.
I am hopeful, I will not be the generation that puts the Bozo mark in it.

Janderso, ever heard of the "Arc of Shame"? Its the circular mark that appears on the left side of your cross slide when you run it into the lathe chuck. I have that distinctive arc on my Sherline cross slide and I have to live with it. I was paying attention but not to where the cross slide was in relation to the chuck. Lesson learned, and it is reinforced every single time I use that little lathe. When I say to be careful, I really mean to be careful.

Unfortunately I am aware of the, "mark of shame".
I had several of those qualifying marks on my Taiwan, Kurt clone on my Bridgeport and my 13" South bend compound..
Those machines were destroyed in the fire. As I move forward with newer and better machines, I am focused on accuracy and knowing where my tools are when machining. :)

Late to the thread. I have this strange affliction where vices and tables are clearly visible, but I'm apparently unable to see strap clamps and mill quills, etc.

No troubles with anything on the lathe or vices and mill tables. But almost all of my Homer squeals happened because of freaking strap clamps and power feed on the mill. It's too easy to focus solely on the end mill clearances and miss the rest of the machine.

I'm in the habit of giving the lathe chuck a full rotation by hand before engaging power (good habit to acquire) and use power feed infrequently enough on the lathe that I'm still pretty cautious when I do. It would be best to always perform a preflight run through the full tool path without a cutting tool in the collet even on a manual mill, with or without power feed. I certainly don't, and I'm suspicious of anyone that claims they always do, but it would be smart.

[I'm sufficiently dangerous with just simple power feed. I know way too much about computers to trust myself around a CNC rig.]

Back