Saving An Old Craftsman Floor Jack

astroracer

Registered
Registered
A friend of mine broke the diecast universal joint in his Craftsman floor jack. He couldn't find a replacement universal so, in looking at the broke pieces, I figured it wouldn't be that hard to make a new one out of steel.
MVC011F-vi.jpg
The pieces aren't that big. Only 3/4" in diameter. All of the parts after dis-assembly.
MVC015F-vi.jpg

I found a piece of 3/4" diameter steel in the drop pile.
MVC003F-vi.jpg
I cleaned up the OD in the lathe, faced off the ends and drilled out the bore's for the mating parts. Test fitting the parts.
MVC005F-vi.jpg

With that done I clamped the piece in the vise on the mill and machined off both sides.
MVC008F-vi.jpg
MVC009F-vi.jpg
With that done I picked up the ends and center drilled for the pin holes.
MVC015F-vi.jpg
After drilling out the pin holes I flipped the part 90 degrees in the vise and hogged out the center portion with a 1/2" end mill.
MVC017F-vi.jpg

After some deburring and cleanup.
MVC019F-vi.jpg
I split the piece into two.
MVC003F-vi.jpg
After rounding over the cut ends and a bit of assembly and I had a new U-Joint!
MVC006F-vi.jpg
MVC009F-vi.jpg
MVC010F-vi.jpg
This was fun project and it will save an old jack from the scrap pile. :)
Mark

That is why it is fun to be a hobby machinist. I have also made small repair parts for something that would otherwise ended in the garbage or recycle bin.

A friend of mine broke the diecast universal joint in his Craftsman floor jack. He couldn't find a replacement universal so, in looking at the broke pieces, I figured it wouldn't be that hard to make a new one out of steel.
MVC011F-vi.jpg
The pieces aren't that big. Only 3/4" in diameter. All of the parts after dis-assembly.
MVC015F-vi.jpg

I found a piece of 3/4" diameter steel in the drop pile.
MVC003F-vi.jpg
I cleaned up the OD in the lathe, faced off the ends and drilled out the bore's for the mating parts. Test fitting the parts.
MVC005F-vi.jpg

With that done I clamped the piece in the vise on the mill and machined off both sides.
MVC008F-vi.jpg
MVC009F-vi.jpg
With that done I picked up the ends and center drilled for the pin holes.
MVC015F-vi.jpg
After drilling out the pin holes I flipped the part 90 degrees in the vise and hogged out the center portion with a 1/2" end mill.
MVC017F-vi.jpg

After some deburring and cleanup.
MVC019F-vi.jpg
I split the piece into two.
MVC003F-vi.jpg
After rounding over the cut ends and a bit of assembly and I had a new U-Joint!
MVC006F-vi.jpg
MVC009F-vi.jpg
MVC010F-vi.jpg
This was fun project and it will save an old jack from the scrap pile. :)
Mark

That looks good, and will prob outlast the rest of the jack.

Nice job. Always good to save something useful. Mike

Nice work - clever too! Those look to be the same as the ones on an Atlas mill power feed. The universals on my Atlas mill where broken when I bought it and I made replacements but never thought to mill both sides at once - that's just mad problem solving skills!

Back