Saw Blade Sharpener Etc

davidh

Active User
Registered
so here's the deal... the lad that bought my business a few years ago, and since abandoned it, has left a boatload of stuff for his mom to dispose of. . . . . in his infinite wisdom, he bought one of these:
www.UniversalSharpener.com
thinking he would make some cash by sharpening stuff for God knows who. anyway here sits this machine, I'm not sure what all is with it, and in watching the operation videos that the mfg is showing on there site, i feel its a extremely exaggerated tool. but I'm a skeptic so maybe it really is something i should not be so critical of.
the web site shows how to charge, etc for the sharpening services but in the real world who would even think of sharpening a hole saw ?

from the videos i cannot quite figure out how a person could balance a sharpen job on a 2 flute anything by just rotating the chuck as they show. . . maybe I'm missing something.

so, do you think maybe they sell a half dozen of these a year or are folks easily fooled by the xxx $ per hour they claim ?
i know the lady wants to sell it, and she said her kid paid something like 2500 bucks for it so it must be pretty well equipped . whatta suppose the market would bear on eBay or something ? i need help here.
anyway, its a heavy tool, probably 75 lbs or so, maybe the web site says but do you think theres a chance of recouping any part of her investment ? ? ? i have an oliver of adrien ace grinder that can sharpen nearly anything so i don't need it.

Foley-Belsaw sold similar setups for years. I don't know if their equipment was any better or any worse than the one in question here, but the old Belsaw units were also available before the "throw away" society of today. Foley-Belsaw has since ceased production and sales of sharpening equipment, so there must not have been much profit there any more.

Looking at the pics and such, I don't know if it could accurately sharpen end mills or not. Eventually I would like to get a tool sharpener that can do end mills, but such a luxury is not in my budget at the current time. So my pile of dull end mills grows, but thankfully, very slowly.

Sorry to hear that he left his mom saddled with getting rid of the stuff he left behind. Selling that sharpener might be more difficult than one expects.

Back