Saw Blades Difference

oskar

Registered
Registered
Perhaps what I say on this post is well known to many of you however due to my current project I learned that the Skill saw and Circular saw (miter saw) blades are different in the sense that their teeth point in the opposite way. I also learned that the Skill saw blade turns CCW and the Circular saw blade turns CW (always looking towards the shaft).

If you look in the attached picture, the top 2 blades are for my Skill saw and their teeth point towards the left but the bottom blade is for my Circular saw and the teeth point towards the right. In addition, as far as I know the blades we buy they don’t say if they are for a Skill saw or Circular saw so it is up to the user to find out where and how to use them.

Blades are expensive especially for non ferrous metals like the one shown at the top left. However if I flip one of the top blade and have their label at the bottom then the teeth will point to the right like the bottom plate and therefore it can be used for either saw.

Is it safe to flip the blades and use them between a Skill saw and Circular saw?

Saw Blades.JPG

They only cut in one direction..............no matter what side the label is on.

Reactions: Z2V
FWIW, A "Skill Saw" is actually just a Brand Name (spelled Skilsaw) that has been adopted as a catch all terminology for Circular Saws.

The main difference i see between the blades besides the tooth count is the size and i would say the "Skilsaw" is 7" where as your "Circular Saw" is a 10"er....so if you needed to you could run the smaller blades on the bigger saw but not the other way around. And as Derf stated above, the blades only cut in 1 direction regardless of which side the label is on so be sure you install them to rotate in the same direction or you will have a he||of a time cutting through most things!

Edit: i missed the part about the circular saw being a Miter Saw...in this case the blade is set so that the teeth pull the material down and into the base/fence. On a Hand held circular saw aka "skilsaw" the blade is set so that the rotation pulls the stock up into its base guide. This is done to control the cutting forces as the blade comes into contact with the stock so the material and or saw doesn't get ripped from your hand.

Last edited:
There was mention of a miter saw.

miter saw.jpg

and a skilsaw (aka circular saw)

skilsaw.jpg

I believe the question is whether the smaller circular saw blade can be used on the larger miter saw.

Just trying to clarify the question, as I don't really know for sure.

Personally I wouldn't put a different size blade on a saw than it was made for, unless the manufacturer mentioned that being an acceptable option in the included literature.

As the others have mentioned, the label is just a label, the important part is which way the teeth face when put on the saw. You can buy left handed circular saws and the label will face inwards because they don't sell special left handed (label on the opposite side) blades for them.

Is this a set up, or?
"My bandsaw blades, some go forwards, some go backwards."
If not, then you can flip the blades.

Why are some of my socket set, buggers only fit 1/2" square nuts, and the drive hex's are all different sizes.
But look, there are no stupid questions. Only smart arse answers.
Wouldn't be the first time, that I have...there was this one time........!

Laughing at ourselves, is more fun, than picking on some other poor bugger, Hey!

Back