SB 10L "extra part?"

rvsls

Registered
Registered
I solved my problem with the cone and spindle but now I have a new problem. I have one extra part left over from my rebuilt of a 10L. It is a washer that is 2" OD x 11/4" ID x 1/16" thick. I believe it came out of the apron? It looks like the oil slinger on the clutch shaft based on all the internet and rebuild manuals I have read but I have a gear type slinger in the clutch. Any Ideas as to where a washer as described might be located in a 10L? My lathe was build in late 41. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rod

Well, thanks for the suggestion, I do not have a washer under the drive gear. I checked the parts lists and a washer is shown for the two lever gear box but not on the single lever gear box which is what I have and it looks from the pictures, that is what you have. My extra washer is too large for that location as there is nothing to support it. I checked the commercially available parts list and found my extra washer as part # 161x59 where as the drive gear washer on the two lever gear box is part# 161x30. Next I went through the parts lists looking for the 161x59 washer and found it as the oil slinger on the apron clutch. My dilema is, I already have a gear type (serrated outer edge) washer in place as the slinger? I am really confused as to where this washer is supposed to reside!!!

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Rod

Thanks for the help, I have not decided what to do. I am curious about the grease you have on your gears. It looks very sticky and doing the job better then oil. What is it?

Rod

Re: SB 10L "extra part?"

Draggin this one from the grave for the sake of completeness. The part in question is indeed the oil slinger. It resides on the clutch shaft in the apron. It's job, as its name implies, is to simply sling oil around the inside of the apron when it turns. Good to know someone else has this same washer because I've only seen a gear for that "job" in other people's rebuilds.

Back