SB9A FLAT BELT GLUE ISSUE

pjf134

Active User
Registered
HEY GUYS,
I have a flat belt (old) on my 9a horiz. that I am trying to glue (temp) for just checking out lathe before teardown again for paint and final clean-up. I have tryed tube tire patch cement, not good, then 2 part epoxy, lasted about 5 min., next I tryed a locktite white glue in a tube, still drying. I am just trying everything in my tool box that I have. Any good ideas on something that would last about 1 day? I plan on doing the car serp. belt for final install, any good glues for that? I am just trying to work out the bugs on the lathe before final teardown and assembly. I did see a green link type belt somewhere and was curious about how that would work out just adding links or taking them out, would it run quiet? My lists on wants and needs is getting longer by the day, but the end is getting closer at least it runs now.
Thanks for any help,
Paul

You can use hide glue, or go to a show repair shop and get some barge cement. If you glue, be sure to properly skive the ends and make sure the leading end of the inside of the belt hits the sheaves first. That helps it stay together.

I'm not sure if the segmented belt you refer to is what I am thinking about, but I have one on my table saw like this:
http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_performance_composite_vbelts/powertwist_home.aspx

I love it. It's quiet, no vibration, and no slippage.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I was looking at the fenner type link belts and heard a lot of good things about it. I also found out that HF carries them and are american made. So tonight I went out and got one,will try it out tuesday and see what it does. The old leather belt was in bad shape, but I just wanted it to last about a day, so new belt was in the cards anyway, no loss.
Paul

Tried out the new link belt today, it took about 2 minutes to install, no waiting, started it up after adjusting turnbuckle and the only thing I heard was the gears turning. Took a deep cut and no slipping of belt, just some smoke from the cutter, old cutter that was dull anyways that came with the lathe. HF $25 PLUS A 20% OFF PLUS FREE FLASHLIGHT, can't beat that. Do not waste time glueing go with the link belt, quick and easy.
Paul

The only Fenner belts I'm aware of are made for V-belts. I bough one years ago for a Logan with v-groove pulles.
Are you saying the same belt works on flat-belt pulleys, or is ther e one specific to flat belts?

The Harbor Freight belt is kind of flat and works fine for a flat pulley on mine, I do believe they are made for v belt pulleys though, but not sure. My belt length is about 54" long and the HF belt comes in at around 60" and real easy to install. I did install mine in a direction of less chance of catching lip of link, no directions are included, but just trying to making it right just in case that was the way it was intended.
Paul

I have one of those, may try it until I get around to putting a micro-v on it

Back